1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

playing out of the house - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Well, I bit the bullet & took my bass outside the house for an actual jam.

I practiced a couple of the songs, but I couldn't even come close to remembering it all note for note.
    I was hoping that I could just wing it & play the same shuffle through the whole song.

I had no problem, winging it, because I could barely hear myself.
    We were plugged into a PA with an acoustic with a soundhole pickup.

Willie Nelson, Bob Seger, Eagles, Neil Young.

I was asked if I could sing & declined, but now I'm rethinking it.
    My friends always told me I sound like Ozzy Osbourne when I sing. That's great for Heavy Metal, but not great for this style of stuff.

Anyway, I was lucky that his charts had the chord progression right there on the top & I could easily read it & just played roots along in that progression, trying to maintain a box when possible.

We left it open ended, and I'll just have to make contact again if I want to continue meeting.
    I'm not sure if that's code for "You kinda suck.", or I might be overthinking it.

Only 3 or 4 songs trip my trigger TBH, but you've got to start somewhere, I suppose.
    (Would you believe gOOgle Chrome's spell checker tried to correct "got to" to "gotta"?)

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here now:

A: Practice those songs for real, and really get them down for next time.

B: Stay at home doing my own faves, Motorhead, Ramones, Black Sabbath.

I was asking myself what would Lemmy do, but if Ian was at this stage of his musicality, he probably would have asked the guy if he could sleep on his couch for a few weeks, LOL.

Our musical tastes converge on a few songs, but it's a pretty far stretch for me, just songs I grew up with.

I'm glad I was able to keep the beat at least, but I wish I had someone along to be a 3rd set of ears.

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    A. Practice them. It still doesnt have to be perfect but it will show you're serious and maybe bring along a couple of tunes YOU want to play too.
    Even if the music isn't really your thing, at least you're playing with others and getting that experience. Give it a couple of sessions and see how it goes. You can always retreat to your own place but at least you will know you gave it a shot.

3. Putting the music style and your proficiency with the songs aside.
    Did you have fun?

If yes, do it again.

4. On a scale of 0 to 4, I'd give it a 2. Not great, but not bad.

comatosedragon likes this.
  5. playing out with these people opens the door for you to find more likeminded people to play with. that's my experience anyway

d-dave, hintz, pudgychef and 4 others like this.
  6. I thought that too, but this guy isn't into Jazz or the Blues, only Country.
    I'm thinking maybe I should try hooking up with the Blues group that has open jams. I went to one & it was pretty great. Two other TBers were present as well, I even hitched a ride with @Linnin.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the open jams sound like more fun to me than playing songs you don't like that are mostly styles you don't care for when you can't hear yourself play, but that's just my opinion.

on the other hand, playing with that guy again would give you a chance to sing as well as play, and you wouldn't have to keep taking turns with other bass players like you do at a jam.

on a scale of 1 to 5, was last night a 2 or a 3? if a 3, it couldn't hurt to do it again.

Dgl44 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. 2.5
    :smug:

I am having delusions of learning "Turn the Page" note for note & possibly singing it too.
    That was my fave from the stuff we did.

Susqmike, pcake and 1954bassman like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Central Virginia Blues Society is a very vibrant and talented group of good natured folks.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I think it is almost always useful and beneficial to play music with other people - it does not matter much what or how you do it.

pudgychef, MattZilla, DirtDog and 4 others like this.
  11. I was kind of ignorant, or maybe too shy, to ask to flip through the song book to see if there was any others in there I might recognize.
    I thought about it at one point, but then forgot almost instantly.

12. Oh damn, they had one today:

upload_2016-3-6_18-15-28.

13. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ask if you can borrow the book or go and buy the book, choose a couple songs from it and ask if the two of you can jam to those next time.

Asking Lemmy in Motörhead vs asking Lemmy when he was still starting out- you may have gotten two different answers

14. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    The double negative probably confused it.

But you HAVE to start somewhere is correct. (I believe lol, english class was so long ago and reading internet posts have muddied my english)

I'll probably be corrected shortly

15. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    Well now it's getting worse:

0,1,2,3,4 - you picked the middle number
    1,2,3,4,5 - you picked half number lower.

Seems like the more you think about it the less fun it was :D

16. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Sounds like, at the very least, it got your juices flowing and that you enjoyed playing enough with others to be considering doing it again with the same people or with another group that plays more what you're in to playing.

So I'd think who is it I'd rather play with and go for it.

Enjoy!

pudgychef, Oddly and Killed_by_Death like this.
  17. It's a hand-assembled binder of charts. I should have flicked through it and taken pictures of the ones I was interested in.

I was thinking about the iceberg:

6652d76312fdfe90e52094aa1f9d09d2.

It's an awful lot of work, and I'm a lazy git.

18. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's only work if you look at it that way... Or are a pro!

I have found that some of the music I love is not what I actually like to play

Keep giving it a go. Hopefully you will enjoy it!

Lo-E, GKon and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    A.) Learn the songs for possible future use.
    Always play out of your comfort zone, you'll learn a lot.

20. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn "Turn the Page" every time I hear it on the radio.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016