Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing out

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cheezkid, Sep 23, 2002.

1. cheezkid

cheezkid

Mar 15, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    I play in a modern rock/80's metal cover band. Needless to say, many of the songs we play use different tunings, drop D, 1/2 step flat, drop C, etc.... My guitarist insists on changing guitar for every song. It messes with the flow of our show. Do any of you guys stay true to the tunnings or do you make do with what you have?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    We change instruments a bit as well, both bass and guitars, not for different tunings but for different sounds. We try to organise the sets so we don't have to change too much every song, it interrupts the flow as you say. We try to play at least two songs at a go, and then change instruments while someone talks with the audience or something. I have a line switch (Boss LS-2) so I can have two basses connected, just quickly change the bass and step on the pedal instead of having to mute the amp and fiddle with cables. I also play 5-string basses, that could perhaps be a solution instead of detuning.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    We only change instruments for the drop d stuff. If a song is recorded 1/2 step down or whatever, we just play it 1/2 step higher to keep the tuning normal.

I don't change basses though... No need.

4. we tune all guitars and basses 1/2 step down, for the whole show, so that lead vocals are a bit easier to reach.

switching tunings / instruments several times in a set would be annoying and would mess with the flow...

5. British

British

Sep 5, 2002
    The last band I was in, our guitar player had 3 different guitars. We arranged our set list so that he would only have to switch out each guitar one time, and each "sub-set" would start with a song that had a non-guitar intro, so that we could begin the song while he was still changing.

I actually played drums in that band. But the bass player had a 5 string and never switched, IIRC.

6. cheezkid

cheezkid

Mar 15, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    I have a 4 string for the 1/2 step down and a 5 for everything else. My guitarist has 6 guitars. We try to do as little switching as possible,but it always sruins the energy of the show. No matter what I say he won't change

7. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Six guitars seems silly. He should be able to get some of those sounds by tweaking mainly his EQ instead. Our lead guitarist manages all sounds necessary with three - one single-coil type, one humbucking-type, and one special guitar setup for slide. All other differences is covered with effects programs in a POD. Ask your show-off friend to try and minimize the number of guitars. Tell him he can have all axes on stage to cover his image, but only use three of them... ;)

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I thought my kids were all too young to play bass!
    Apparently, there is one I don't know about!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Your guitarist needs to learn how to play and stick with one or two tunings. Did he learn all of the songs from TaBz?

My guitarist only uses two tunings. Standard and drop D. For two songs we do in flat keys, he uses a capo. That is a lot less time consuming than changing guitars. He only changes guitars once per set, when we do the two drop D songs.

10. cheezkid

cheezkid

Mar 15, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    All 6 of his guitars are tuned differently. Standard, 1/2 step down, drop D, drop D down a 1/2 step, full step down with drop C, and some D tuning for Creed. He is very insistant on doing it exactly like the CD. Drives me NUTS!!! He claims the audience will notice.

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, that's one way of doing it. Another would be to find his one thing. We play covers and try to keep the overall feel of the song, and keep important riffs and hooks, but put our own touch on it. A straight copy isn't too interesting in my humble opinion.
    :D