Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing over the bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Low_blow, May 15, 2005.

1. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    About two months ago I bought a Yamaha TRB-5 with two humbucking pickups. The problem is when I start playing over the bridge pickup my fingers start knocking against the pickup cover. How should I set up the bridge PU height? Thanks for an answer.

2. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    that happens to me on my 4string tanglewood...it only really happens when im playing fast or when im sitting down.

3. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Thanks for your reply. I've been playing Fender Jazz Bass for 6 years and never had such a problem with J-style pickups. What to do with soapbar?

4. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    i suppose you could lower the pup...it doesnt bother me 2 much tho...just hurts the tips of my fingers if i play to hard.

On my 5string Ibanez i have humbuckers and they are set nice and low and my fingers go NOWHERE near them..so yeah lower it down a bit :)

5. Guys, this is a question of compromises. You are going to have to make some somewhere because neither of you are going to be able to keep all of these features:

- Proper pup height IF that height is where it is in conflict with your fingers
    - Playing positioned over the pup if the pup MUST remain at that height to have the proper signal strength
    - Use of the same plucking technique IF the pup must stay at it's current height AND you don't intend to move from that playing position.

Think about it - basses are complete systems. Nothing can be adjusted without having an effect on something else. The natural reaction of lowering the pickup when your fingers hit it could mean taking that pup out of it's best position for reading the string vibration. That might take that pup out of balance with the rear pickup and make the pair total krap when played together. All basses are different and no two of different styles can be played the same. It will take some minor tweaking to ones technique for each instrument to get the best out of it and still sound like oneself. That's the approach I would take.

6. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    i should have said it only happens to me when i play the E string...when i play the other 3 strings in normally place my thumb on the E string and play in between the 2 pups (if u get what i mean)

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I just picked up my bass to see if my fingers hit the pickup. It seems really difficult for me to MAKE them hit the pickup - and the pickup is pretty close to the string. Actually, on a closer look, it's about a quarter inch away. Also, when I do make them hit the pickup, it doesn't really matter anyhow. You don't hear it, and it doesn't effect my playing except for the fact that I'm playing it differently so that my fingers hits it. Hmmmm.... not sure if I have any point here as what I just wrote will probably be of no help whatsoever to you.

When I do play really close to the bridge I crank the volume and play real lightly. I like cutting the bass a bit, cranking the mids and getting that Jaco kind farty burpy grimy sound.