Playing "Overjoyed" by Vic Wooten

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mz91, Oct 23, 2003.

1. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well, i was listening to alot of vic stuff lately. And Wrong Wrobots verison of U Cant hold no Groove. I tried it and couldnt do the slap stuff fast enough so i laid off that song for the time being :meh: . And i started playing Overjoyed with normal fingerstyle, though my rendition sounded nice it didnt have that coninuing feel that vics version had. And i came to find out he was playing it using tapping. Although i know what tapping is i havent ever really seriously practiced the technique. Im not quite sure which fingers i should use with which string when playing Overjoyed. So i'd appreciate some tips or suggestions into starting this song. Im thinking its basically a song that can introduce me to tapping. I guess its a big fish to fry but i am planning on taking my time and working toward the goal of being able to play this song and thus tap well. :D . sound stupid? Well, any suggestions or help is really appreciated.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Wooten's arrangement is pianistic; basslines and chords stay with the left hand on the E, A and D strings; the melody for the most part is played on the D and G strings using the right.

The piece relies on a lot of 9th shapes on the left hand (fortunately in higher positions). For the right hand, I just use my index and middle fingers, with the thumb thrown in occasionally for double stops.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I learned that song I solidified each part separately then just layered one part on-top of the other.

Similar to what I do when singing while playing.
  4. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well first off thanks alot for the replies guys!
    I have been playing it and its taking awhile to get ahead. It doesnt sound fluid though but i guess thats understandable. I am getting a sound out of the taps but its not very strong. Especially on the right hand when its on high notes. But at least i have some idea now of how to play it. thanks again!