Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing "Overjoyed" by Vic Wooten

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mz91, Oct 23, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hello!
    Well, i was listening to alot of vic stuff lately. And Wrong Wrobots verison of U Cant hold no Groove. I tried it and couldnt do the slap stuff fast enough so i laid off that song for the time being :meh: . And i started playing Overjoyed with normal fingerstyle, though my rendition sounded nice it didnt have that coninuing feel that vics version had. And i came to find out he was playing it using tapping. Although i know what tapping is i havent ever really seriously practiced the technique. Im not quite sure which fingers i should use with which string when playing Overjoyed. So i'd appreciate some tips or suggestions into starting this song. Im thinking its basically a song that can introduce me to tapping. I guess its a big fish to fry but i am planning on taking my time and working toward the goal of being able to play this song and thus tap well. :D . sound stupid? Well, any suggestions or help is really appreciated.
    thanks.
    Michael

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Wooten's arrangement is pianistic; basslines and chords stay with the left hand on the E, A and D strings; the melody for the most part is played on the D and G strings using the right.

The piece relies on a lot of 9th shapes on the left hand (fortunately in higher positions). For the right hand, I just use my index and middle fingers, with the thumb thrown in occasionally for double stops.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I learned that song I solidified each part separately then just layered one part on-top of the other.

Similar to what I do when singing while playing.

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well first off thanks alot for the replies guys!
    I have been playing it and its taking awhile to get ahead. It doesnt sound fluid though but i guess thats understandable. I am getting a sound out of the taps but its not very strong. Especially on the right hand when its on high notes. But at least i have some idea now of how to play it. thanks again!
    Michael