Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing piano on bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SKB, Nov 21, 2001.

1. SKB

SKB Guest

does anybody know a web site that shows how to play piano songs, like some beethoven or something?I wanna try play those on my bass.

thanks

2. You will quickly find that it is difficult to play music written for piano on bass. On a piano it is common to simultaneously play 4-6 notes. On a bass, you will find it difficult, if not impossible.

Apart from the physical differences between the instruments, its all a matter of reading the music and playing it. You can read music, right?

(side note: cello music often arranges well for bass)

FF

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not everything works; much is impossible, and much that is possible sounds like mud.

Surprisingly, some stuff does work. Stu Hamm has done, with reasonable success, Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" (the familiar adagio movement), Debussey's "Dr. Gradus Ad Parnassum" and Bach's "Prelude in C" from "Well-Tempered Clavier". Beethoven's "Fur Elise" works okay on bass too.

I'd recommend just buying the sheet music for these and experimenting. Transposition to fit the range of the instrument will almost always be required: you're going from seven octaves to three (or four, with a six-string bass).

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i dont know of any sites that have this information, but i can recomend an instructional video that will teach you the skills involved in playing piano compositions on the bass.

Stu Ham's Slap, Pop, and Tap for the Electric Bass.

tell this to Stu Hamm, in his instructional video, slap, pop, and tap for the electric bass, he plays a classical piece , (i cant remeber the composer, please forgive me) but he does it using a 2 handed tapping technique. He even does the Peanusts theme, Then he teaches you the techniques involved to play like that.

5. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    Bach for bass is very popular these days aint he

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    *radio DJ voice on*

...That was just Britney Spears, "Hit Be Baby One More Time", and moving along on our top hits chart of the day, heres the latest by a dude named Johann Seb...I can't read this, anyways, here he is with "Tempo di Borea."

*radio DJ voice off*

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    well, of course. He's the daddy of all bass players.

8. Hey, I didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said difficult, and further, I did say it was just a matter of reading the music.

(400th post. Watch out JT, I'm hot on your heels :D )
    FF

9. i_ love_ bass

i_ love_ bass

Nov 12, 2001
    california
    seriouly? he plays moonlight sonata? whats the name of the song or is it just moonlight sonata by stu hamm?

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Er...L.V. Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp Minor, "Moonlight": Adagio sostenuto.

As recorded by Stu Hamm on the album "Radio Free Albemuth", catalog listing whatever.

12. Try and play Rachmaninoff on bass.

I don't really enjoy the sound of that chordal stuff played on bass. The timbre and resonance of other instruments (guitar and piano, mostly) is much nicer in those situations.

I guess it would be fun for a challenge or to improve technique and musical facility.