1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing Queen Songs, John Deacon Is An Animal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Xandrell, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    We play a half dozen Queen songs that we end the show with and they were pretty tough for me to learn. I've only been playing bass a couple years. Most songs I learn in a few minutes, (remembering them is a different story) but Queen songs took a considerable amount of time. Ogre Battle and Stone Cold Crazy are pretty fast, The Show Must Go On is intricate and March Of The Black Queen is like a long symphonic story that doesn't repeat anything. We end with Funny How Love Is which was the easiest of them. Just an appreciation of John Deacon. :bassist:

nixdad, Gazman, andruca and 3 others like this.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh, yes. John Deacon wrote some incredible bass lines. Queen II especially, as you said, had some crazy stuff as far as constant modulations. Good on you for learning those!

nixdad likes this.
  3. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    Never heard a band play march of the black queen. That's one of my favorite queen songs.
    Cool you're doing that.:thumbsup:

nixdad, andruca and ElectricMatthew like this.
  4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ogre Battle! One of my favs. Used to do that one all the time many moons ago with a favorite drummer of mine.

MonetBass likes this.
  5. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Ogre Battle is one of my favorite songs and the most fun to play. We do the lead break different, (same bass line as the live version) but the guitar solo is way different.

Commreman likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020