Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Raining Blood

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ghouldani, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    So in the begining when it gets fast I do double picking but when this comes into play
    ---------------------
    ------------23------
    --------4------23---
    ---2-4--------------

I have to do all downstrokes and it screws up my timing. How does he play it?

2. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    Also, I bought Still Reigning and was very disapointed. It was cut to look like a feature film and not a concert. Is there a Slayer DVD with multiple angles?

3. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    why not keep your alternate picking going into the halftime part?

4. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    It's freakin hard. I was wondering if there was an easier route.

5. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    the easier route is to play with your fingers :)

but, if you want to play with a pick, you might as well just hit route notes, because that's mainly what Araya's doing during slayer songs anyway.

6. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    First of all, there's a mistake in the tab you've posted (in all the sources I've found it is 3-2 and not 2-3 in the end of the bar). I tried to find the most logical picking, and that's what I've got:

Code:
    --------------------
    ----------3-2-------
    --------4-----3-2---
    --0-2-4-------------
      ^ V ^ ^ ^ V V ^

However, if you find the "sweepy" way difficult, try experimenting with more simple alternative picking, probably like this:

Code:
    --------------------
    ----------3-2-------
    --------4-----3-2---
    --0-2-4-------------
      ^ V ^ V ^ V ^ V
    In short, experiment, and ind the way that best suits you ;)

7. Yeh, be careful with slayer songs. Often people say Tom is doing stuff he's not. For instance in this song, near the biginning theres this nuts bit after the intro. He just hits the root note there, many people say he plays what the guitar plays. Check out 'War on the Warfeild' DVD to see what he does.

8. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    Thanks, man. Is there multiple viewing angles to focus on one performer or another?

9. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I'm gonna go test that out on my lunch break. Thanks!

10. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    There's no secret formula to playing bass. If there was someone would have made millions selling a book about it.
    You just got to practice. Practice like a robot, and then do some improv to get your creative juices flowing. Balance your routines. The healthiest thing for humans is variety.
    Though, I will say you should try and find the most efficient technique for you that accomplishes making the music that you hear in your head come out through the amp. :)

11. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    It's hard. All I have now is a fender rumble practice amp that came with my pos bass. I've dicked around with the eq for hours and can't find a good tone. It's good for exactly one thing: practice.

12. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    with the tiny practice amps you're better off working the knobs on the bass itslef as opposed to the amp: less power going to the amp means less it has to deal with in general.

and as for the tab itself, the 3-2 IS correct as opposed to 2-3 which is wrong.

also, although Araya is lame and only plays root notes, it doesn't mean you have to. play along with the guitar...it will make you mucho better.

13. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    How would you play without following the guitar in the intro? It seems that any kind of creativity would be drowned out by the drums or guitars

14. Want to improve finger speed on the fretting hand? Play the first riff like so on the E:

-676-265-154-000

Works fro me.