Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Ramps for my Elrick & Ken Lawrence...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I've decided I'm gonna have Rob (Elrick) make me a couple of playing ramps. One for my new Elrick Singlecut and one for my Ken Lawrence. Now I have to decide what wood / color I want the ramps to be.

I cut out a piece of black cloth and put it on the KL and that looked great to me. I'm thinking that something to match the top/pickups would be a little too much, visually, but the black adds a bit of contrast and looks nice.

[​IMG]

The black looks OK on the Elrick (didn't get a pic), but maybe it's a bit too boring? Maybe a piece of Macassar Ebony to match the Fingerboard would be better?

[​IMG]

What are your thoughts / suggestions?

2. Mac. ebony would definitely look nice!

3. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    the beauty of the first pic floored me, what was the question?

Don't mess with perfection, that is bass work of art!!!!!

ken lawrence, hmm........

4. But see, with the ramp, it'll basically look the same. Only instead of a black cloth between the pickups there'll be black wood ;)

And it's not messing with it at all. The ramps are easily removable and don't hurt or modify the bass at all. I think it looks better with the black inbetween the pickups like that :cool:

I'm still working on my Photography skills, though so far, that's the best pic of my KL that I've taken.

Here's my favorite pic of the Elrick (I think they make a nice couple :smug: ):

[​IMG]

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd ask him for a figured Walnut one.

Maybe he could use a piece from the same log as mine. Although, the wood may not match. My bass is more brown, and that one seemed more red-ish.

6. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    what about vibration from the ramp??

I know of ramps, but not much, so it seems to me, a lay person that if it's removable there would be some movement

7. i just wanted to say those are really beautiful basses, I love my elrick evo but man what i would give for a single cut elrick like that. I think ebony or a wenge would look very nice on both those.

If that elrick was a 6 stringer i would give you both my legs for it and play in a wheel chair....Who needs legs anyway?

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    [​IMG]

It's good to know I have a back-up pair of legs.... ;)

9. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    I like the black on the KL, but since he took the pains to make the wooden covers for the pups, seems that the ramp should match those.

Or if you matched it to the maple neck strip, it would just blend in.

I wonder 'bout the ramp a bit too - how will those be held in place?

Is it critical the ramp be a hard surface? I was thinking maybe some dense foam could be used - easy to cut, and then sort of squished in between the pups????

10. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    i put dark rosewood ramp on my cort rob elrick.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like to always match the pickups.

12. They're attached by some sort of adhesive which is removable and non-damaging to the bass. I've never heard of any unwanted noise coming from the ramp vibrating.

I'd love to have a 6-stringer version of it as well. I've been wanting to get into 6-string basses. Yours is smokin' C-5KO :cool:

Ken Lawrence didn't make the pickups/covers. Those are a Benavente creation ;) .

I'm working on a photoshop job of a few options....

13. Alright, here's my crummy photoshop job of 3 options:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of those 3, I like the Black best, though the Rosewood (pickup covers are Rosewood, top is Coco-Bolo) looks good too. If anyone with better photoshop skills wants to give it a try, be my guest :)

14. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If you can't perfectly match the body wood or pup cover wood I'd go black. Both of those bass' are rather busy and adding a new type of wood would be a mess IMO. Black will match either the bridge or pups and look good.

15. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

What do you think of (for the KL) a piece of flame maple that's dyed black? I'm thinking the flame would either match the grain of the top wood or the center block without adding a new color.

16. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, dyed maple would work for me. It would keep an organic feel too without competing with the other textures.

17. Would you have the flame figure running vertical (to match the Ash center block) or horizontal (to match the top wood)?

Decisions, decisions.... :p

I got an e-mail back from Rob - says he probably wont be able to find any figured walnut that would match the top of the Elrick, but Macassar Ebony would work very well. So I think I'm gonna go with that for the Elrick ramp :)

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry, I guess I used up all his Walnut. :p . Mac Ebony would look great on that bass. The fingerboard and the walnut on your 5 are pretty close in colour.

I dig the black ramp for your other bass.

On second thought, you should ask Rob to make you 3 small ramps. You'd have a fretless extension right to the bridge!

19. Interesting idea. I never thought about it before, but can you use the ramp as a sort of small fretless fingerboard? Anything inbetween the bridge pickup and the bridge wouldn't work though since the pickup wouldn't pick it up there.

I just need a simple ramp though - don't temp me like that :p

20. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'd keep all the grains parallel. but the more I think about it the flames being parallel with the strings might be real cool.
    Macassar will add a new kind of brown or tan. I'd still stain that. But my tastes have drifted away from ornate and towards the more simple lately.