Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing/recording with my mesa 400+ and radio signals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Jan 19, 2006.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    This fits within the amps section and the recording section so I decided to put it here. I am recording a song with my band and we are using my Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ head and Ampeg 410HLF cabinet to record the bass. With a mic cable, I hook the recorder up to the mic output (preamp output for recording) to sent the signal through to the recorder and record the bass through the amp. The load is required for tube safety. Whenever I turn the amp on and turn the volume up, I start to get radio signals that show up loudly in the recordings. I am using a ernie ball stingray 4 active bass to record. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this problem? Thanks

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like you may have interferance in your mic cable. Unplug it and see if the radio signals continue. Then maybe check your instrument cable. Is the sound only in the recordings, or is it coming out of your cab as well?

3. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    The bass is ok now, but we are hooking up an electric bass drum into the head and it sounds really good but i think the electric drum console is picking up the frequencys somehow. No matter what chord I use it is clearly playing. And not only in the recording but through the cab as well. I really need to get rid of this problem

4. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I tried plugging the electric drum console into my peavey bass amp and it doesnt pick up the radio signal. But when i plug it into my mesa tremoverb guitar amp the signal appears clearly again. It seems to me that the radio signal comes up while trying to record and mic electric drums through an amp when the amp has tubes. Does anyone with tubes amps have experience with this or know how to get around it at all? It really sounds good to plug the electric bass drum into the drum console and plug that into the mesa 400+ and mic the cab but with the radio signals its impossible to get a clean signal.

Would using a midi cable/line cable (or converter) get rid of it?