1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

playing scales and riffs on... gasp.. the guitar!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cranberrysauce, Oct 3, 2008.

1. cranberrysauce

cranberrysauce Banned

Mar 20, 2008
    Ok, got a question here...

I am a bassist at heart, and it shall always and forever remain my heart and soul :)

However, I have been inspired lately to learn the guitar. I also play the piano, so I figured, why not learn a 3rd instrument?

I have a basic fingering question however... let's say you are playing a riff... let's say to "Born Under A Bad Sign".. the Cream version.

I play, on bass... the C note on the A string with my 1st finger (index)... I then go up to the D note on the A string with my middle finger. I then go to the D string, and hit the F note with my middle finger again, and then up to the G note on the D string with my middle singer... and so on.

If I was playing this same riff on guitar, would I use the same 2 fingers, or would I.. for example, beginning the riff, play the C note with my 1st finger, and the D note with my 2nd finger?

It seems like alot of scales and instruction tell you to play like that, making you stretch your fingers more. Do you typically play riffs and solo using the "stretch" method, or do you usually play 1 finger per fret, like I do on the bass.

I dont want to start w. bad habits!

2. All my tone comes from bad habits.

S.

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I'd finger the riff the same on either instrument.

4. Why wouldn't you use your index for both third-fret notes and your ring for both on the fifth fret, on both instruments? That's what I do. I might even do index and pinky.

5. cranberrysauce

cranberrysauce Banned

Mar 20, 2008
    Well, the index/ring finger method "feels" correct, and feels more comfortable.

However, a guy I know who teaches guitar teaches his students scales... and for example, in teach the G scale.. he would play the G on the low E string with his index, and then go to the A with his middle finger, and THEN stretch all the way down to the B with his 3rd or 4th finger. Dunno... what is that technique good for?