Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing sitting down: Strap or no strap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jun 12, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've always played sitting down, and I've never used a strap. However lately I've felt like maybe I should start using one, that it might give me alittle more control especially when playing higher on the neck.

For the times that you play sitting down, who chooses to use a strap and who doesn't?

2. Futurehead

Futurehead

Jun 9, 2005
    No strap for me. Then again, I never play sitting on a chair, usually I'm cross-legged on the floor. That lifts the neck up high enough for me.

3. Eric Lutton

Eric Lutton

Jun 12, 2005
    USA!
    Wearing a strap while sitting (or standing) is like wearing a seat belt in a car. I can testify to guitars falling head first while changing a page of sheet music, taking a drink, etc. Your bass is worth it!

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Strap on always. My bass is always higher up on my chest than if it were on my leg, so a strap is usually a necessity.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Strap ... even at home during practice.

6. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    A few years ago when I was taking lessons... I started playing seated without a strap. My teacher told me that it was a bad habit to get into and he was right for a few reasons.

- It leads to inconsistent technique if you also play standing. Things are very different position wise between the two without a strap.

- It really reduces your range and access.

- Leads to sloppy technique

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The only time my straps come off of my basses is when I'm taking pictures of them, and the only time I play without a strap is if I have less than ten seconds to play (like if I get an idea on the way out the door).

I used to never play with a strap. Then on the occassions when I'd have to stand and play, I would be very uncomfortable, because playing with the bass on your right knee puts the neck in a much different position than when you're standing. I had to work pretty hard to change this, as I didn't want to have to sit down everytime I played with other people because I couldn't play as well standing up. I wear my bass fairly high, so wearing a strap keeps the bass in the same position whether I'm sitting or standing.

Now it's the only way I play.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Definitely use the strap. I think that, if I'm going to play seated, my bass should keep the same relative position as when standing. That's one of the many advantages of wearing the bass high.

9. A strap with straplocks always. I wear my bass high so the position is the same sitting or standing. It might not work for those who wear their instrument below belt level, though.

10. I always play seated, no strap.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont use a strap when i seated and play.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Always fasten your seatbelt.
    I wear my bass high, the position would change without strap.

13. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I am a firm believer that a strap should be used for both standing and sitting. Lately, though, I've become somewhat of a hypocrite on this topic due to circumstances.

I play sitting almost 100% of the time, and am in a restricted space area. I also need to change basses (fretted/fretless) several times during a set, and there is usually just enough time to make this swap if I am strapless.

R

14. I practice with the strap on.

Hehe - strap-on.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like most of the others who have posted, I play seated or standing with a strap. This keeps the bass in the same position. If you practice sitting with no strap, and then gig standing up, some of the things you praticed are not going to work the same way, due to the difference in the position of the bass in relation to the rest of your body.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All about wearing a strap seated. As we speak, I'm actually holding a bass, no strap because it's not a bass in my regular rotation, but it feels wierd. I wear my bass rather high, and consistency in this game is certainly rewarded.

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Always with the strap. When i play in musical pits-it stays on because of the position of the bass changes if i play it without my strap.

That's all

18. YES, YES and YES! Thank you for bringing that to the fore!