playing ska

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey guys/girls, in my music comp class im writing a ska song for my final project and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips about playing ska? and could you recommend me song good ska artists please?
  2. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    Five iron frenzy

3. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  4. Lock in with the drums, pop on some Fishbone, The English Beat, and Sublime to an extent.
  5. Reel Big Fish
    Mustard Plug
    The Toasters

Just to name a few.
  6. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Choking victim
    catch 22
  7. Rancid???
  8. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Dude..since when did rancid become Ska? lol
  9. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Ehh Rancid used to play some ska. I highly recommend Streetlight Manifesto. Excellent bassist. All you have to do is make your bass line sound really busy and lock in with the drums as someone said above me.
  10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Go for the original 60s ska bands. People like Desmond Dekker, Pato Banton, The Maytals and The Skatalites. The 70s two-tone bands like The Specials and The Selecter are good too.

Edit: Pato Banton? Well, I've been quoted now so I can't hide it! :rolleyes:
  11. Yeah, the Maytals were the first thing in my mind.
  12. thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    does anyone have any tips for playing ska? any particular modes that sound better than others? when/where to play, etc
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Desmond Dekker! He is by far my favorite ska singer. Not only that, he was the first ska singer ever. Even Toots says he was ("Desmond Dekker Was First" is a very nice song dedicated to him). Desmond Dekker still plays shows in England and Europe, too.

Tips: make the bass line busy and staccato and everything else simple and staccato. Also, learn how to play the one-drop (resting on the 1). The one-drop isn't everything in ska but it sure makes basslines interesting. As for modes, dorian and mixolydian are the most predominant. You don't have to get all fancy with note choices in ska. It's pretty basic, really.
  14. Listen to some early Madness music. I'd recommend you get a copy of their first album called 'One Step Beyond'.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Also, Ska came from R&B (in its original sense) mixing with Caribbean styles and rhythms. It's hardly surprising that a lot of what works in blues works in Ska and its successor, Reggae. There's a lot of mileage available in I IV V chord progressions and minor pentatonic riffs.

Going through a pile of ska cds I have here, most bass lines are simple. Most of the time the bass player is hitting a root on the 1 and sticking with the 3 and 5 the rest of the time.

I don't get the feeling that the original artists theorised too much about what they did.
  16. I like the ethiopians...Train to Skaville
  17. STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO!!! definetly awesome ska
  18. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Hell yea they are!!!!!! :bassist:
  19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    heatskores, flatliners and planet smashers come to mind, although im not sure how far the first 2 have spread.
  20. -Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005