1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing some basses lately...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by totallywink, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. totallywink

totallywink Supporting Member

Happy New Year everyone!

So, I am (sadly) looking to sell my AVRI 74 Jazz as I just have not bonded with it - having said that, I've been checking out basses in the area and here's what I played recently (if anyone is interested) -

Went to Larry Hartke's Bass Lounge in NYC last week and played a new Limited Edition Fender P/J that was just ok (to my ears), two Metro Sadowsky's that sounded massive (jazz bass style, excellent fit and finish), a USA Geddy that sounded great just didnt love the neck (go figure!) and a Warwick Corvette that I really liked (something about the neck and feel). Then I hit Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Paramus and played several but the ones that stood out were a well set up Aerodyne (great neck, sounded fantastic), another Warwick Corvette (dual hum buckers, great tone - I would say a 'focused' tone) and finally, a shell pink Flea (a great neck and sounded great). It's been fun playing some new stuff - I would say that the Aerodyne and maybe the Warwick are in the lead with the Flea coming up strong. I'm in no hurry but it has been fun playing stuff.

Lastly, it was great hanging with Larry in the bass lounge (I was the only in the bass area) and he had some great stories and was super accomadating. Great guy! I highly recommend stopping in - his stories are great!

now back to your regularly scheduled TalkBass program.... thanks for listening!

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again…Mad Love for the Almighty 'Dyne! :woot: Hands down, it's my favorite neck design!

Sorry it didn't work out with your '74 RI. Do you mind elaborating on the why's? I ask because I really dug my Classic '70s Jazz (I don't have the body anymore, but still own the neck…another keeper, for me! :thumbsup:) and I've always been a bit curious how I'd get along with the American-made reissues.

Oh, and greetings from a former Morris County resident…Randolph for a year and a half ('94 to '96…just before I moved to Delaware) and nearby Hopatcong for a year ('83 to '84…my first home when we moved to NJ).

totallywink likes this.
  3. totallywink

Hey M-Mad, Happy New Year! Yes, the AVRI 74 and I did not bond for no other reason but the neck. The U shape neck gave me the fits. I do have a 70s Classic Jazz (a C shape) as my backup and I ended up playing that one more. The 70s Classic just felt better. The pickups in the AVRI 74 sound great, it looks awesome with the rosewood board and blocks, but I couldnt adjust to the neck (thicker from front to back if that makes sense).

The Dyne was a great bass - I may have to revisit that one!

And speaking of NJ, my band has been playing around in Hopatcong, Budd Lake area as well as locally in and around Rockaway, where we rehearse.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Have you ever been to the Totowa GC or Robbie's Music?

totallywink likes this.
  5. totallywink

Hey J-Hawk, happy new year! I hit the Totawa GC a couple days ago and they didnt have much. I haven't been to Robbies in what feels like a 100 years but I will certainly find time to stop in. I'm in no hurry as its been cool trying out so many basses as of late and I'll get the 74 for sale soon...

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Happy New Year to you.
    I haven't been in either lately but used to frequent them both since they're practically across the street from each other.
    The good thing about Robbie's is they have G&L basses in the store. I might've never bought my L-2000 if not for them. Played one there and was floored.
    Oh, yeah, they have flatwound strings for $15..."new" 40-year-old Guild flatwounds!

totallywink likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ah, the good old days when you tried a bass before buying it. THIS is exactly why someone should be willing to pay a few dollars more for the ability to do this. @totallywink - let me ask you a question. After discovering that your instrument wasn't right for you, and trying at least 8 other instruments, and still not finding "the one", what is that worth to you (plus figure out how much you will lose selling the AVRI? Buying on line is NOT the same.

totallywink likes this.
  8. totallywink

Hey Buldog, yeah, buying the 74 sight/unseen was a mistake, a total impulse buy, had I taken the time to play one in the stores, things would have turned out differently. Its a great bass, just not the great bass for me. The fit and finish is excellent, the case and case candy, the total vibe of it, it was the total package (from a distance). Now, I will lose $$ on selling this but I'm trying to remain positive, I have a solid backup jazz bass, my amp and gear is all good so now I will see about finding that 'one' bass that speaks to me (a never ending search I'm sure when GAS hits!). But I have enjoyed playing a bunch of other basses in the meantime!

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Happy New Year!

You should check out the necks on Adam Clayton Jazz basses. I am strongly bonding with mine. I believe it's more of a '60's shape. It's definitely a "C" shape and very comfy(At least to my hands).

totallywink likes this.
  10. totallywink

The Adam Clayton is on my list! The reviews here on TB have been positive. Now, I just need to play one.

FunkHead likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My point exactly. Trying is more than half the fun, plus you can find exactly what you want. I bought my main player used over 30 years ago, and it is staying with me as long as I am playing.

totallywink likes this.
  12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    They are pretty sweet. The Sherwood Green has a lot of blue in it to my eyes. I am ditching the Pearloid for a Vintage Cream Scratch-Plate. I put some Chromes on mine and I am really enjoying them.
    If you get near Phillipsburg, NJ, You are welcome to come check it out. Dave Phillips Music is here and they are a great bunch of Guys/Gals. Not a ton of High end basses there but still a cool place to check out.

totallywink likes this.