1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing Southbound Pachyderm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ffutterman, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    A friend of mine wanted me to learn Southbound Pachyderm. The song doesn't seem too hard on paper, but playing along to the track seems almost impossible. I listen to the song non-stop for days and sit down and practice it, but I still can't get the intro down. Until the drums kick in, my head/fingers are constantly going "Is it now? What about now? Now?...nope....How about now?"

I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem with it. It seems like playing it in a band would be no problem (you just set the timing yourself), but playing along to the track is really kind of tough.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eh, just keep a 4 count going and it'll be fine.

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    yep it is the only trick to it ... and he only does 8th the whole thing when riding the A ... it is only when he does the D powerchord that he doesn't do 8th.

4. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    counting is a musicians best tool, more people should try it. im all for 'feeling' a song or going of a cue someone else in the band gives and whatever, but really..... a simple count will tell you exactly when a part should happen.

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    For some reason, I found this song very easy to learn and play. I don't play many covers, but I enjoy playing Primus songs. -Luke