Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Standing Up

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mikey96, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Hey guys first time new thread poster, long time fan. Well the problem is I consider myself an average to slightly below average bass player when im sitting on a chair. When im standing up things get a lot harder, I can still jam around pretty well playing notes all over the fretboard, but if I am trying to play a song particularily on the higher frets, its something with my position but I have a tough time hitting the notes well. Im wondering if the way I hold my bass (im left handed) so I hold it upwards almost parallel to my right shoulder, or if the way I am picking, very close to the fretboard, are being major hindrances to my playing when standing up. Or is it simply a case of practice, practice, practice standing up. Thanks.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Whether sitting or standing you should be holding the bass in the same position relative to your body.

Try this, put the strap on while you are sitting and adjust it so that it's tight. Then stand up and the bass should hang in the same position.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I've noticed that I tend to play more on top of the beat when I'm standing and I tend to lay back on the beat more when I'm sitting.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Practice has a lot to do with it. In any band rehearsal I've ever been in, I played standing up. I sit down at home when I am practcing scales, etc, and for working out songs, but for a band, I stand. It would be very hard (for me, anyway) to practcie everything seated, then go to a gig and play standing. If gigs were the only time I stood to play, I'd be in trouble.

Billy Sheehan said in one of his instruction videos that the bass should fit the same place when you sit as when you stand. That is pretty high if you try it out. If you are a player that plays with the bass near your knees or only slightly higer, you will have to change your whole approach to your bass when you stand from when you sit. That can be an added challenge. But some young musicians just don't think a bass wron chest height looks cool, so wear the bass where you want, but recognize there are tradeoffs in the choice.

Jason Oldsted