1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing strings with a Padlock?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CochiseG, Mar 22, 2009.

1. CochiseG

CochiseG

Mar 22, 2009
    I thought some of you might want to try this out.

What i mean here is not hitting the strings (like playing with chopsticks, although it works too with a padlock), but sliding the shackle near the bridge between two string to make them ring.

This way you can play chords of diminished thirds, minor thirds, thirds, perfect fourth, perfect fifth, and augmanted fifth (if you play note hig on the neck, they sound bad because the strings are sort of shortened by the use of the padlock and the strings have less sustain)

I have been playing with this for some time now, but i dont have any effects to try out with this, and my amp is really bad, so even at full volume i cant get much out of this. I discovered this when i made my bottle neck and i started sliding it on the strings near the bridge (the bottle neck ended up on my right hand thumb, used to hit the strings, but i think it might shatter if i do this intensively)

2. Your slide should be fine. I play like that all the time.

It sounds really cool with delay.