Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing styles,goals...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Feb 10, 2003.

1. I've been really looking at my "goals" as a bassist since I've had to streamline my practice time due the demands of my life (work,kids,etc). I used to want to slap like mad and be this fierce,monster bassist. I think that's the young,male,egotistic,cocky,competitive shredder thing that is in alot of us musicians.
    Now,I don't even listen for the "difficulty" of the music being played-I'm much more into the fat groove than anything. I want to hear and play something that makes someone shake their a*s. And I'm not that old,31.
    I was just wondering how many bassists out there want to hear and play music of virtuosity (Myung,Pattitucci,etc) and how many just love the groove,or just love to rock? Are you happy playing a support role,or is your goal to be a soloist?

2. To do both in a proficient manner is my muscial goal. Ultimatley I want skills that surpass the average bass player, but at the same time time I want my songwriting ability to be in high ranks.

3. I used to buy all the CD's of my favorite chops monsters, just to hear them tear up their basses and see how many notes they could slap in a measure. Now, more than anything, I buy music that has a great groove to it, and not necessarily a speed chops fest. That's the style of player I'm becoming. Less flash, more smash.

4. I would still like to be able to shred like the great, but it's not my main concern. Definitely not in a band setting. In my band I'm concerned with playing kick ass lines and letting the two guitarists do the shredding (hey, were are talking about TWO COMPETING guitarists here, they don't need me taking time in the spotlight :)
    I do enjoy solo bass cd's, but since I don't listen to music for the bass, but for the whole, I prefer other cd's. (And I'm not old, I'm only 22!, hehe)

Greetz, Ruud

5. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I'd like to do both. I think what happens to a lot of people is that they burn themselves out on one thing or another then move on to something else.

Not me. I like groove. I like shred. I'll continue to progress at both as time permits.

6. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    to play in the manner of Tony Kanal or P-Nut or Eric Wilson + maybe become adequate on the double bass + have some good improv skills... ahhh...to dream. :D

7. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    Insightfull query! I'm a 50 year old who's first loves were Bass and basketball at the age of 15. I've played off and on over the years, however, numerous life situations and responsibilities taking precedence over my passion for the bass guitar. I'm a finger style player trying to develop the slap technique but with much frustration. My goals are to develop both finger style and slap techniques, create music where my instrument tells a story,taking the audience through a range of emotions from sublime to exhilarating and then back to a groove . Over the past year and a half I've renewed my vows with the bass, putting in time for practice while working a demanding full time job and raising a family . Its a difficult juggling act, requiring good time management and a clear vision for accomplishing those goals.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum. Off you go...

9. My goal is ultimately to be in a punk band and get on Fat Wreck Chords..ah well we can all dream can't we? I'm 18, only started playing seriously about august 2002, but I reckon it's never too late to learn. I hope to be playing when I'm 81!

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

#1: groove
    #2: groove
    #3: groove
    #4: good ear
    #5: efficiency: using fewer notes to make my point
    #6: having enough technical chops to play what I need to play at gigs (toughest challenge right now, fwiw, is "Crossroads" by Cream).
    #7: improvisation/melodicism

Somewhere down the line: flashy solo chops. Maybe I'll work on those some day, but these days I don't care about impressing anyone, I'd rather be creatively groovy and funky and keep people dancing.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    No desire to be a soloist, or to even stand out in the band. I just hang out in the back and play whats necessary for the song. Im content being the average Bass player.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I want to be a solo bassist, I wouldn't mind being in a band, but really I feel that solo bass is the most compelling idea I've had for my bass playing since I started. I don't want to be known for my chops perse, I want to be known for being a solo bassist, thats my goal.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah!

14. I'm in a funk/r&b/worldbeat type band right now but, as there are only a guitar player and myself as the melodic instruments (we also have a drummer and percussion player), I typically have a lot of room to rome around. With that said, 95% of the time I'm focusing on keeping a good groove with the rhythm section and having a great time doing so. On most nights I will get 5-8 solos, which is what I'm doing the other 5% of the time. I have a great time doing that as well.;)

In this band I've been featured as a soloist a lot more than in other situations but, if I was expected to just lay the groove down, I would be just as happy because that, I feel, is why I'm there in the first place.:bassist:

15. I've achieved some of my goals, being able to groove proficiently in many styles, rock, latin, jazz, country, blues, and being able to do it on BG and DB, my current goals are to upgrade my rockabilly slap chops on DB, and to upgrade my jazz soloing ability on DB, also to groove in funk style on BG. My longterm goal in all styles is to find and use more "money" notes, and to incorporate more expression into my playing.

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This is about where I am at. I like being able to hang in most situations. I do want to work on reading skills and to learn some slap... Not really modern stuff... more in the Larry Graham, Louis Johnson vein...

-robert

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I want to be able to have a good enough handle/feel for nearly if not every style that i can make at least a basic line in whatever style the chart calls for on both BG & DB. Depending on the situation and setting i'm content to play a driving 8th note pulse under the rest of the band, walkin around a bit in a swing/shuffle, or doin some slappin/busy stuff. My current favorite song to jam over is a part of Neverdance [i don't know who did the original] where it goes into a nice bass groove while slapped is still holding down the band and vocals or something similar to The Chicken. I'd like to eventually get into a groove based band where i'm laying down a line w/a guitar is jamming over it w/a drummer. However, i'd also like to have my own big band w/me playing DB. Thats all