Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing the bass-brand new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beaumcrunner, Dec 24, 2004.

1. beaumcrunner

beaumcrunner

Dec 24, 2004
    i am intersted in learning how to play bass. i can read music since i have played the trumpet for 11 years and the keyboards. i do not know anything about guitars. i do not know any of the vocabulary like pickups, frets, etc... i am also in the market of buying a bass but do not know what would be a wise purchase. i have seen bass packages from guitar center and stuff like that. waht would be a good bass for a beginner? :p

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Out of the packages, the good ones are mainly yamaha, and ibanez isnt bad, but in my opinion Yamaha has the best. Epiphone is decent as well.

If you want to buy a bass and an amp seperetely, check out www.rondomusic.net . All of the basses there are cheap but good quality.

3. beaumcrunner

beaumcrunner

Dec 24, 2004
    what is the difference between a short scale, fretless, and other basses? if it helps i am planning on playing stuff like marley and tosh. any vocab. would help, thanks.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Short scale means the bass is basically smaller than usual. This is usually used by children or small people :bag:

Frets are the metal lines that run across the neck. They are the things that make the notes distinct from each other. Fretless basses do not have them. because of this, when playing it you have to play the note in the exact right spot in order to get it in tune, and it is generally more diffucult to play. The advantage of this is that many players prefer the tone of fretless basses more. It is diffucult to use one as your first bass.

5. Like that midget that was in that peeing on the bass band?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

sorry that was bad but hey, xmas is about forgiving and just enjoying the time with family... the TB family.

drunk yes, sappy yes.

6. welcome to the darkside. start off with an essex or SX bass, as figjam suggested. You want a standard scale. short scales are for kids and girls, as Fig said.

BTW, my experience has convinced me that trumpet players make great bassists, for some reason. I think even Flea was a trumpet player.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Rondo has an SX package now with bass, amp and extras for $279. It has the SPB-62 bass in it.

8. Here's a pic of an MTD Kingston - great cheap bass, not the absolut cheapest but you won't "outgrow" it soon (if ever) like some of the lower quality starter basses. I labelled some of the commonly mentioned parts.

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/144/kingstonblue2bh.jpg

Standard "long" scale is 34 inches, most mass market basses are in this category, so if you're starting out it's easier to find an affordable decent quality bass in this scale. However, plenty of people prefer the smaller scales, ("Medium" scale 32 inches, "Short" 30 inches) just as some prefer ones that are even longer. The measurement refers to length from the bridge (usually metal, part where the strings are anchored on the body of the bass) to the nut (graphite, bone, metal, or something else, small part on neck that the strings rest on just before going on to the tuners) Starting out, the basses mentioned are good choices, but somewhere down the line if you find a shorter scale bass, try it out, you might like it...or not, but you'd have to try it to know. This is the best time ever to be new to bass, so many great basses at affordable prices. Essex - Peavey - Dean - MTD Kingston, Heir , and Saratoga - Cort, and many others all making sweet basses for the money. Check out whatever you can before buying.

And as an aside, you'll find all sorts of people and opinions here, but make up your own mind. For example, some might say:

But someone else might look at the guy in the pic below, who's a legend on the instrument especially among non-rock listeners and players, who is known for his incredible work on shorter scale basses (though he plays other scales and instruments too)...

http://www.stanleyclarke.com/mvtemp/photogal/stanley-magic.htm

and wonder if he's considered a kid, or a girl.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Jack Bruce did some pretty good playing on a short scale too, and I don't think he was either a kid or a girl....

10. now i wouldn't necessarily say short scale basses are for girls. i'm a girl and i have no problem at all playing a 35 scale bass and i have fairly small hands.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Try different basses at a music store. A short scale instrument may be harder to sell when you decide to upgrade, later on. I personally think 34" scale is best, both for tone and playability. There are a lot of bass players with small hands who get around on the 34" perfectly well.