Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing the bass/w band...please read

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by billybo, Aug 4, 2002.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    im in this band but i need to know what can i do as a bass player to make the audience say...dam their bass player is good! what can i do besides my regular bass line......

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Practice. A lot. Everyday.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Listen to jazzbo.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Lock with the drummer.

Perform all the changes smoothly.

Pay attention to dynamics.

Devote energy to the song and the audience (do not think about yourself).

Select/write songs with fun basslines and practice to perfect them before playing them out.

And, if you want to be famous, help them remember who you are with an easily identifiable image or stage name. "Yeah, that's that bass dude with the sparkly purple warlock! Man he rocks!"

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Get a big sign like an "applause" sign except your sign says: "dam their bass player is good".
    Or listen to Jazzbo.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Try to make them say "damn, that band is good"! Don't do it for the glory, do it for the groove!

7. Learn "the seinfeld theme". Everyone will love you.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Practice, be creative with your lines without being obnoxious.

9. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    listen to the man, thats what i do. for me, everyone is like, "hey look at that guy, he has crazy makeup on" and im like, "hey! look at me he has crazy makeup on". it works...er...but maybe you shouldnt wear facepaint...

10. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Get an ugly lead singer.:D

11. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Play like the bassist from Anti-Flag and sing while doing it. Heh, did it for me.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    what jazzbo and pacman said

you want ppl to go that guys good then all ya gotta do is be good, and all ya gotta do to be good is just practice.

but if you're good and the rest of the band sounds bad then you're gonna suck by association, so its best to help make the rest of the band sound good.

13. play louder than the guitarist and practice until your hands are bleeding...well maybe not that long, but thats what im doin. im solo right now. make your basslines stand out the the chili peppers and flea. and jump around alot

14. learn the ytse jam by dream theater and play it as a solo

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I don't know what genre of music you play, but I would suggest that you listen with painstaking attention and focus to the bassists that you believe are "damn good" in your style of music.

What are they doing that stands out in your mind so that they win your respect and admiration? Do they slap, tap, play double stops, down tune, play killer solos, use lots of effects, have unusual bass guitars such as seven strings or fretless, dance and sing while they play, leap tall buildings in a single bound? What? Define what it is that sets them above the ordinary and mediocre bassists of that style and learn to do it yourself. Be prepared to spend a lot of time mastering those skills.

When you have accomplished that, then take your music and technique even beyond what the best in your style are doing. Be experimental. Don't be afraid to fail.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Oh I like that Bop. Very signature worthy too.
    Especially the be experimental. Dont be affraid to fail part. :D

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If you play with the music, breathe as it breathes, live in it's temporary home of concsness, Oh yeah, and leanr to rip like jaco! huh huh!

18. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    just slap!!it 's a great to show off!!

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I'd say just do your best and don't worry about what people think.
    You sure as hell can't do any better than your best and people want to see a good band, not a good bass player.

Totally don't be afraid to fail - you learn by mistakes, but I'd say that if you're a beginner getting used to being on stage and performing for an audience is equally as important as pushing the boundaries of your playing.

I would recommend holding back on the experiments when you play live until you feel confident enough to recover yourself in an emergency! For the first few gigs, just get used to performing and don't worry about trying to impress people.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But then people will say :

"dam their keyboard player is good! ;)