Playing the blues...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Growler, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Question for y'all... Why is that when it comes to bassists playing the blues, we always play the 'groove'. Anybody know of any bassists that play lead for a blues track? Could a bassist play like BB King?

2. I think The Blues and Country & Western are two genres in which the bass should just stay in the background and play support. If I try to imagine a bass solo, it just doesn't seem to fit in my mind.

Even in Jazz, when Stanley Clarke and David Bromberg go berzerk they lose me.

Or try to imagine someone slappin like Marcus Miller on Hank Williams', "Your Cheatin' Heart." :rollno:

Some things just don't fit, know what I mean?

Just my view. ;)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You have to make it happen dude. Have a piano/keyboard hold down the I-IV-V while you shred. ;)
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Jebodiah Covington's 1979 album, "I IV V This", features 56 bar long bass solo on the song, "My baby left me and I couldn't care less." It's a real eye opener if you have never heard a good blues bass solo.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The one who comes closest would be gifted blues bassist Roscoe Beck who has played with blues guitarist Robben Ford and with guiitar virtuoso Eric Johnson.

Having said that, he does not do a B.B. King style of presentation in that King sings then answers with his own guitar. I don't even know if Roscoe Beck does sing, let alone use King's pattern of singing then letting Lucille, his guitar, answer.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000