1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing the Changes - Berklee Press Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by thatotherguy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Jun 16, 2009
    Has anyone use this book and got a review for I'd be interested to know what you thought before i spend my money.

2. Droot

Droot

Dec 29, 2006
    I have a copy and I have kept it around hoping I might someday know enough about music to put it to use. It has a great deal of information related to music theory and how to play over chord structure but I think it is rather advanced. Maybe it is just me, I have not really put much time into studying it in depth.
    Dave R

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I have it. Great book, though it is really geared towards playing lead. Soloing, and perhaps creating fills and "fiddly bits" as Pauly Mac calls them. It doesn't get into writing grooves, per se. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in it, but I'd like to.

4. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have it as well. It employs a chord-scale type method. It uses tetrachords to help you memorize the mode shapes.

I would disagree that it is focused on playing lead. You can approach it that way, but the concepts are towards improvising flowing basslines over chord changes - "playing the changes" just as the title implies. The examples (this book is in standard notation) in each section, in fact, are not solos but bass lines to jazz standards.

I think it's a good book and worth picking up. Having at least a basic background study in theory and modes will definately help you get started in it, though it's probably not required.

5. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Yeah, that's kinda where I was coming from. It's great for jazz, but perhaps a bit overkill for the usual classic rock, pop, etc. Not to say that it has no applicability, just was not exactly what I was looking for as far as building basic grooves and things. I tend to avoid playing jazz bass in a rock setting - people tend to throw things.

6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Jun 16, 2009
    Sorry, I should have given you some background info. I'm a Jazz student I understand alot of the theory that goes along with soloing but am really having trouble getting it into my playing and breaking out of the root note habit. Is something like this the way to go or do you think there may be better way.

7. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    For a jazz student, this book is perfect. I love jazz, just not what I'm doing right now. I work full time, have 4 kids, and make a little extra cash playing praise and worship. As you can imagine, I have to focus what little free time I have on material that I can directly apply to my "paying gig".

But yes, perfect for jazz.