Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing the DB again. New bass!....maybe

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Jun 6, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, it's been a while since I've been over here! I've got a great gig at a couple of wineries near me, and they requested that I play the Double Bass rather than my 6 string. I actually started playing bass on the Upright, but have started to play a lot of fusion and chord melodies on the electric. I just recently started playing my Double Bass again. I can't really explain, but the Double Bass seems to speak better to me. I can be more expressive, and it has a more pure natural tone. Well you guys know that! That's why we play them! Anyways, I am looking for a couple of opinions....

I have a great sounding German bass, Berlin made c.1850's which I have had for a little while now. It has a nice sounding E, and excellent sustain.
    However, I have just found a great sounding Italian bass by maker Renato Scrollavezza(c.1961). It is a fabulous bass! It projects a huge sound, exceptional low end with a lot of sustain. It is a powerful instrument, and sounds wonderful in thumb position. I am equally impressed with the "spread" the instrument has with the bow. It is a great bass in pretty good condition though I would need to put at least $1000 into it to get some minor repairs and a replaced bridge/tailpeice/strings. It is not as mature sounding as my German Bass, and not quite as easy to play. I have a little less than a week to make my decision. All of my money is tied up in the Berlin Bass. I could take a loan. Or hope I can sell the bass quickly! What do you think?!
    [​IMG]

2. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here is another picture of me playing the bass. Not a bad looking bass eh! Sounds as good as it looks too!:)
    [​IMG]

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Go with what feels right.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My thinking is that you have a nice German bass in hand that you like to play. My own personal history tells me to never sell something that I really don't want to part with. If you are willing to take out a loan to get the Italian, you still have the option to keep the German, or sell either bass after playing them both for awhile. I don't think you would have any trouble selling either bass down the road (to me, maybe?). At any rate, it's an awfully nice desicion to have to make; either way, you have a great bass in hand.

5. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the thought. I do love my German bass, but I like the Italian better. I am about 90% sure I am going to buy the Italian and part with the Berlin bass. The Italian just keeps sounding better and better each day. It wasn't played much before I picked it up. I am going to have to sell my German bass quickly to be able to buy this one. Anyone interested?:)

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I AM! I AM!...Oh. wait a minute, my wife says I'm not...my mistake...