Playing the DB again. New bass!....maybe

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Jun 6, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, it's been a while since I've been over here! I've got a great gig at a couple of wineries near me, and they requested that I play the Double Bass rather than my 6 string. I actually started playing bass on the Upright, but have started to play a lot of fusion and chord melodies on the electric. I just recently started playing my Double Bass again. I can't really explain, but the Double Bass seems to speak better to me. I can be more expressive, and it has a more pure natural tone. Well you guys know that! That's why we play them! Anyways, I am looking for a couple of opinions....

I have a great sounding German bass, Berlin made c.1850's which I have had for a little while now. It has a nice sounding E, and excellent sustain.
    However, I have just found a great sounding Italian bass by maker Renato Scrollavezza(c.1961). It is a fabulous bass! It projects a huge sound, exceptional low end with a lot of sustain. It is a powerful instrument, and sounds wonderful in thumb position. I am equally impressed with the "spread" the instrument has with the bow. It is a great bass in pretty good condition though I would need to put at least $1000 into it to get some minor repairs and a replaced bridge/tailpeice/strings. It is not as mature sounding as my German Bass, and not quite as easy to play. I have a little less than a week to make my decision. All of my money is tied up in the Berlin Bass. I could take a loan. Or hope I can sell the bass quickly! What do you think?!
    [​IMG]

2. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here is another picture of me playing the bass. Not a bad looking bass eh! Sounds as good as it looks too!:)
    [​IMG]

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Go with what feels right.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My thinking is that you have a nice German bass in hand that you like to play. My own personal history tells me to never sell something that I really don't want to part with. If you are willing to take out a loan to get the Italian, you still have the option to keep the German, or sell either bass after playing them both for awhile. I don't think you would have any trouble selling either bass down the road (to me, maybe?). At any rate, it's an awfully nice desicion to have to make; either way, you have a great bass in hand.

5. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the thought. I do love my German bass, but I like the Italian better. I am about 90% sure I am going to buy the Italian and part with the Berlin bass. The Italian just keeps sounding better and better each day. It wasn't played much before I picked it up. I am going to have to sell my German bass quickly to be able to buy this one. Anyone interested?:)

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I AM! I AM!...Oh. wait a minute, my wife says I'm not...my mistake...