Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing the DB trough a Fender guitar amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Dec 23, 2001.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Last week the guitar player of my band just let his Fender deluxe amp in my place ...
    So, a couple hours later here i was playing my DB with this guitar amp(its a tube amp with a 12" speaker)
    And i have to say that i was surprised and very happy with the sound....
    Real warm tone,good bottom,not boomy at all.....
    Did anyone try to play with a similar amp like this before???
    I need to buy a combo as soon as possible(tired of heavy weights) and this experience confuse me even more .
    Any opinions welcome.
    Merry x-mas to you all and a great 2002 full of bass playing.

NUNO ALEXANDRE

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You're pretty likely to blow a speaker. The speakers in that amp weren't designed to produce the low frequencies that your bass puts out, so even at low volumes you can hyper-extend the voice coils, particularly since it is an open-back design...

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'm not so sure about that...with a Plank, he'd blow them for sure, but with a DB, maybe not. I use a full range PA cab (1x8" Eminence) with my Clarus, and it sounds great. It won't handle Toybass transients, but I've never overloaded it with my Realbass. I've also heard quite a few players say that full range speakers are actually better for DB than dedicated Bass speakers. Anyone else ever hear of this?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Full range, sure, but the Fender amp isn't a full range device. The advice I pass along is advice that was given to me by techie-friends of mine. Could be wrong, could be right. I've always just followed the advice :)

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You could be right, although I thought that guitar speakers were full range. At any rate, I'm sure that LOWENDSANITY would be better off with a real bass amp, but if this works for him, who am I to bust his bubble?

Happy holidays everyone. :cool:

6. Hi all :)

If you like the sound use it !

IMHO guitaramps with enough power
    and speaker rating do sound better.
    I asume this is partly caused by the
    broader frequency range of the speakers.

A question I have been asking myself for many years is why bassplayers in common are "fooled"
    by so called bassamps. In my own testings
    I have found that in general PA systems work the best for both toy and upright.
    These produce a much wider frequency range thus
    the player in much more command of the sound
    in comparison to the standard bass amp.

I honestly believe to many players are fooled
    by the title of the amp instead of using theire
    own judgement ! Of course one has to take into considoration the transients from toybasses etc.

If a CD player sounds GOOD thrue the amp it´s a good amp for me and the sound I like.

Trust your own judgement.

Best,
    CV:)

7. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello again....
    I've been playing with this amp over and over trying to study it as much as i can before i make a decision...
    I realize that with this amp i dont need to use my pre amp,with or without pre amp the sound is pretty much the same(does anyone knows if the impedance of guitar amps are different from regular bass amps?)
    Wich amazes me the most is the quality of the low frequences....strong but clear.....
    The only thing is worrying me is the chance of blow up a speaker,however theres no buzz at all ,just clear sound.How can i know about the frequence responce about this amp and whats the frequence response needed for a bass amp to avoid speaker blowing??
    thanks again.

NUNO ALEXANDRE

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm glad it's working out. You might do better on the toybass side of the board for your techie questions....there's a couple of guys over in the BG Amps Forum that have this stuff down cold.

Good luck.