Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing the harmonics in you cant hold no groove.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 14, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

I've been at this song for quite some time now and finally reached the harmonic section (although pretty rough still ;) ) but can't figure it out even with notation.

If soeone could tell me where on the neck the harmonics are played at I'd be dead greatful.

I've linked the music page, I did try to save only the necessessary part but this pc doesnt let you save apart form bmp's.

[​IMG]
    Thanks!

edt - frogot to img link :oops:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I play them in 1st position, I never used any notation so I could be wrong but basically what I do is Strum/slap the main verse but then when it falls on G I hit a G harmonic on the 5th of G then while playing the first part of the riff again, sneak a D harmonic in there, before landing on C and back with the G harmonic.

I don't know, how I play it SOUNDS fine, looking at that notation it's a little wonky, but meh, I'm not a perfectionist.
    (if you want to hear how I play it check the WWW link in this post)

Also, this is a question of technique methinks, as it pertains to the technique used in a specific song, and as there are a few recordings of this song, and you didn't specify which, or any interest in the recording, I'm going to move it to technique ;)

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a LOT for the reply, it was kinda aimed at you but I didnt wanna PM incase I finally fell into the stalker/harassment class ;) I'll go give your pointers a try out and record something in a few days/weeks once I start getting it to sound okish and more fluent.

Thanks again for the help with this one - you've practically taught me it ;)

PS, I have actually got your version aswell as the orginal on a cd - I was burning a cd and had room for a few songs at the end so whacked on them 2 (sorry if that annoys you).

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

:cool: neato:cool:

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I've been playing around with your suggestions and managed to get something similar by doing;

note: a note in <> = harmonic

Code:
    G|---<5>-------------<5>-
    D|---------------<5>----- Then back into
    A|----------5--7--7---8-- the 'main riff'
    E|-3-----3------------6--

If that helps anyone, great! I've still not got it sounding fluent but I'm willing to dedicate a good few days or so 'till its tehre (H)

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Just an update incase it helps anyone else..

I re-went over it, using the notation moreso this time now that I had a clue waht each harmonic was and came up with this instead;

Code:
    G|----<5>-------<5>---
    D|---------<5>-------- Then back into
    A|----<5>--<5>-------- the 'main riff'
    E|-3-3------7----8----