Playing the Ryman June 6!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Intune, May 10, 2005.

1. Yep, pretty stoked! A bunch of you might not know of this venue but it is like the mother church of country music. And we play rock! I've played for 18k+ people at festivals and I gotta tell you that walking on that stage is gonna be a rush. Might just be a Nashville thang. :cool:

On a side note I'm a bit concerned that my Mesa 400+ & Eden 410XST will be arriving later this week and I don't think that's enough time to get it all dialed in. I think that I should stay with my rig that I know, Musicman HD-130 & JBL 15". Lack of volume is not an issue at the Ryman. An unmiked voice center stage resonates clearly. Any thoughts?
  2. Congrats! A gig at the Ryman is a sweet deal.
    You are definitely right about volume not being an issue.
    I would say that if you have ANY reservations about
    using your new rig, then don't. You want to be
    comfortable, and able to enjoy the gig, not stressing
    about the settings on your amp.

I performed on that stage back in '96 and seeing all
    those "pews" full of people is a lot of fun.
    Say "Hi" to Minnie Pearl(statue) in the lobby.

I hope your gig goes well, and enjoy the moment.
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That ain't no game right there. Congratulations.
  4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Played on the Opry stage, but I would have traded that in a heartbeat for the Ryman. Just standing on that stage, (Ryman tour) gave me the chills. The history of that place is just amazing! It would be hard not to caught up in that. On the tech side, I would keep stage db's to a minimum if at all possible. Have a blast!
  5. Thanks guys, I got the 400 head today and it sounds awsome! I'm gonna go with the MM head & a 15" for the Ryman 'cause that's the horse I rode in on. :smug: Even though we have a couple of gigs in-between now & then I'm goin' with the comfort level. Good advice. This gig might not mean a lot to those who don't know any better but I am humbled just by the invite. Standing there playing will be something for my kids (turn that rap #@&* down!) to someday appreciate. I've always been a rocker but smart enough to realize the art of good bluegrass & country players. Amazing, in some cases. I'm just gonna bring the '65p. Just seems right if you know what I mean. Thanks for the kind words.
  6. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    ;) !!!
  7. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I'm jealous, just jealous. I hope you at least do a country/rock tune for them. Wow!
  8. Congratulations! What a thrill. My middle boy plays trumpet. About 15 or 20 years ago he played the Kennedy Center and met Dizzy Gillespie backstage. He still talks about it today. You've made the rig choices that I would, so have fun and get some pictures for the kids and grandkids.
  9. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd be crapping my pant's right now if I were you.......all nervous.....what if something goes .....wrong...... :D

Break a leg. You'll be fine and while you're living my dream.....I'l be right over here...grinding out brown eye'd girl and Margaritaville....

God I am SOOOOO jealous....
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I love the Ryman Auditorium, though I have never played there...just sat in the pews. The place just radiates history and spirit. Plus I like the size of the room.

Best of luck in your Ryman gig. If I still lived in Nashville, I'd come watch.
  11. Un-frickin-believable! What a rush! We went on about 7:20 and the stained-glass windows above the upper balcony were radiant. Even the dressing room had a great vibe with vintage autographed playbills & signs like "Hank went to the back alley to smoke... You should too!" They have a brand new sound system & everyone said it sounded killer out front. The monitor mix shaped up by the third song. I need a longer cable or to go wireless. My 25' just barely got me to my mic 'cause they had everything pushed to the back curtain for the dancers. I felt tethered somewhat.

I went with the Mesa and a Warwick 410 that a bass buddy let me borrow the last couple of gigs. Volume-wise it didn't matter what I brought 'cause the stage level was amazingly quite. The lowest I have ever been party to. All I heard behind me was drums all other was from wedges. The sound cats said that's what works best there at our sound check earlier in the day & from all the thumbs up afterward I guess they know their stuff.

I'll quit ramblin' now. I wish all of you the best & thanks for the support.
  12. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Great to hear things went well. I must say I was thinking about it last night. I wish it had been me!
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sounds like a great gig... Very historic joint. I just walked by it a couple weeks ago.
  14. Sorry for the very late bump. Cool venue!