1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing this bass brought a tear to my eye

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm a novice (weeks) bass player. I've not yet had a chance to fiddle with more than maybe 15 to 20 different basses.

But I played one of these at Guitar Center and was blown away by the sound and feel.

It's light and has a really really warm sound. It was sooo easy to play. Great action. It's a 1974 Ric 4001.
    [​IMG]

Is it my lack of experience with a variety of basses, or is this bass really that good?

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    The bass is awesome. I don't own one, but anything good enough for Geddy and Cliff has to be great.

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Rics are fantastic I like them better than any fender
    not that I;m a huge fan of fender to begin with.

I;ve got some major GAS for a midnight blue one

4. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    They are really nice, but they're not my cup of tea.

Nothing but my Warmoth is really my cup of tea... But even that could be a little lighter...

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I love Rics, but they just don't work for me personally. I love the tone, the look, etc but the neck just doesn't feel right in my hands. I've owned 7 or 8 4001/4003 basses in the past, just "hoping" that each one would somehow be different enough to make me keep it - but it never works out for me. Fantastic basses though. I'm jealous of anyone who can "bond" with them.

6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The sound brought a tear to your eye and the price tag broke your heart? ;)

Jim

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    "Pablo Fanque". Cool user name, and smooth reference to the circus performer mentioned in "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite"!

8. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    hey now, you can't put a price tag on happiness

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They are really great. I have a 1988 4003 that looks exactly like that pic and I was a little worried when I bought it (from a fellow TBer) since I had never played one. I heard about how the body edges were sharp and uncomfortable, the neck, etc etc...when I got it, it felt like home. They are really fantastic basses.

10. Aye, true that, maybe a Ric is a little bit out of your price range as a beginner/first bass. Nonetheless, if you got the cash, DO EET!

11. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I have a 4003 made just last yea, and I love it.

12. I have been in love with the Ric look and sound since I first started playing and finally got my 4003 two years ago. I love it and would never part with it despite it's issues, unless it was for a 4001 of that age. I'd like a totally bone stock early 4001 so I can mod the 4003 (ok, just replace the bridge :) )

13. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Indeed. The thing was $1100 and change

14. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks. Actually, Pablo Fanque was the circus OWNER/PROPRIETOR. It was his circus that the Hendersons and Henry the Horse were at.

15. Hold the phone! 1100 and change? That ain't to shabby. I paid around 1700 for my 4003 new and the 4001 has a few things on the 4003 IMO. If it was complete and in better that 70% finish shape I'd consider it worth it for sure.

16. Agree. If you can do it, take the plunge! If not, considering how you feel about the bass, you will regret it. You may even be able to talk them down to $1K.

(I saw a similar 4001 at the Oklahoma City GC that they wanted $2K+ for!)

17. Thats what I am sayin! Most 4001s in good condition are bringing in more than that, sometimes a lot more depending on many factors. Of course I'd give it a very thorough inspection and do my research, but that price sounds pretty good at first glance.

18. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Thats cool that you got to play it and enjoyed it, always nice to find a bass that "speaks" to you.

I'm one of those guys that nitpicks them (sharp binding, bridge cover right where my fingers need to be, dreadful bridge design, noisy around flourescent lights, etc.) so more power to it if you love especially after playing it. I do wince at those that gush over them and save and save to get one without first playing them first, because they are truly different than most of the the 99% of fenderesque basses that are out there.

I think of Rickenbackers like I think of friends with fishing boats...very cool and enjoyable, but the best part is that someone else has to take care of them at the end of the day. :)

19. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    with rics - it appears one either like them or not.
    i do not like fender. never did. neck too wide. do not mind fat if it's comfortable.

anyway - they are fast, comfortable and have character of their own.

20. Fender necks too wide? I am not saying anyone should like a bass that they don't its all up to you, and plenty of gripes about fender are well founded, but a J neck being to wide isn't one I here to often. To tie it back in to the topic, My Ric's neck feels way fatter than my Jazzes, close to a P neck but more rounded. Again that's feeling not dimension wise, so don't beat me up with numbers.