Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing thrash/speed metal...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heretic, Oct 7, 2004.

1. in standard tuning? Is it that much of a sin to not tune hideously low? I only have a 4 string, I have tried CGCF, DGCF, and BEAD... I just perfer standard. is that wierd? :eyebrow:

BTW did Slayer play in Gb Db Ab Eb?

2. It's not weird at all... heavyness comes from what you're playing not how downtuned you are. A lot of the biggest metal bands play in either standard or a half step down.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Not weird at all IMO, Metallica's thrashy albums (Kill 'em All - ...And Justice For All) were done in standard, save for a few dropped D songs. Also, I believe Megadeth tuned in standard. I'm not sure about Slayer though, I don't listen to them much, only like two songs. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i forget but i don't think slayer tuned that low
    i was sort of into the hardcore scene back in the early 80's here in CT. At that time the 5 string wasnt a big thing yet (in metal), and the 7 string guitar may not have been around. I roaded/lent equiment to a HS band called black wytche - actually a very cool band. They may have tuned as low as D, but that's about it. Most of the albums i played along to at that time were standard, E flat, or D.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    +1

6. not a problem...just a question, but what do you not like about it? is it the sound? feel?
    i am not trying to be annoying, but if you really do want to tune low, but you don't like the feel, you can setup your bass to fix that...

7. I just feel more at home on standard... I know where all the notes are and feels comfortable. so its just a personal thing, to each his own.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I played with a thrash metal band back in the early 90's and we always used standard tuning. I think the genres that are using it the most are types like metal-core, emo-metal, and new-metal styles. Most off the old school stuff was standard Like S.O.D., Slayer, DRI, etc etc.

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I convinced my guitarist to never tune lower than D. Now we're all happy.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I woke up, can't wait to eat
    Got my cereal, boy was I beat
    Opened the fridge, and to my dismay
    There was no milk, my mother will pay!

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    "Anti-procrastination song! *bam!*"

12. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I think it's all about what sounds good to you and nothing else. If you want to play standard, great, if you want to tune down, great, most people couldn't tell the difference anyway.

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Whatever works. I like to tune to C, D, Eb and E, depending on how I feel. About knowing all the notes in standard, it's not really much different when you're detuned, providing you detune all the strings the same amount. Like the 14th fret on the second string is still an octave of the lowest string... When you detue, don't think in terms of notes, but relative positioning. It's much easier that way. Play the same way that you would in standard.

Although the strings are floppier, so I don't really like detuning too much.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i recall billy milano from SOD was at the DRI show i saw in ummmmmmmmmmm 1985? ish
    freaky show :D

15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sargeant D is coming and your on his list!

:D

16. i can't blame you for that!
    i agree with nicoli that heaviness comes more from what you play, rather than how low you play. two songs that i feel are pretty heavy are Black Sabbath's war pigs (just that intro)
    and RATM's calm as a bomb, and neither are in any special tunings (not sure about BS though...i don't read up on them!)

Charlie

17. I'm comfortable with CGCF but from what I know Slayer does tune just like you said. They only dropped half a step.

18. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    slayer tune to Eb, and a perfect example of how unneccessary drastic downtuning is. i tune to E or D, i NEVER go below that on my 4. its rather silly if you ask me. and i almost only play metal/punk.

19. Sorry, I have to go against all of you here and say the deeper the heavier! I listened to Slayer and to be honest I felt it lacked body, like the guitars were taking over. I aslo listen to battery by Metallica, and I can't hear the bass, it's all too weedy, whereas something deep and chugging I can hear. That's why I prefer later metallica(with Newsted) to the burton stuff....Newsted owns!

20. Any slayer have been down to drop A before, for the record, so there.