Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing through a P/A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN, Jul 2, 2002.

1. ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN

ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN banned.

Jun 13, 2002
    I posted before about my 120w rogue combo, and i found out that i cannot add an additional cab onto it. However, i was wondering. If i cannot add a cab, couldnt i still run thru a pa system? Would this be a good choice in getting more volume versus buying a completely new rig?

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You should run through PA if there is one. Isn't that obvious?

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Additional volume added by a PA is for the audience. I.e., if your problem is that you have trouble hearing yourself then you need a louder rig. The PA helps balance and amplify the whole band.

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That depends - if you are running through a PA with monitors, you will benefit as well. In any case, if you were going to play through the PA, you will need some sort of interface, like a DI Box, which has a balanced (XLR) output jack to plug into the system. Some amps have this feature built in, which is nice, but I am assuming the Rogue doesn't. You would still need to purchase a DI - I prefer the Sansamp Bass Driver DI - you can get them used around $100/$185 new. There are other more generic choices out there, but to get a nice, fat bass tone, you'll need something built especially for bass. Unless you have a nice bass pre-amp, that is - but that's another situation altogether.:D

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Using monitors to cover for an underpowered bass amp is not a particularly good idea. The monitors, if they include the instruments, would normally not have quite the mix you may want as a bassist.

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    There are too many variables at the moment to give you a definite answer. The PA is for the audience, your amp (and monitors) for yourself. If you have troubles hearing yourself on stage, you could
    1) lift or angle the amp so that the sound reaches your ears better (rather than your feet)
    2) use eq to make your sound step out
    3) put some bass to your monitor
    4) get better (louder) amp

7. turn up your stage volume. running bass through monitors can sometimes blow the speakers out of the box. i like to feel my bass as much as hearing it. and it just feels good to feel the pressure in a room rise when you hit that first note at soundcheck. (at least in my opinion) my suggestion is to save up and get yourself a new rig. MORE POWER!

8. Most PA speakers don't do justice below 100HZ, where the signal from your B(31), E(40), A(55), D(70), G(100) strings is the strongest.

If you can convince your soundman to get powered subwoofers, then you don't need much of a bass amp on stage - just enough to hear yourself over the drummer.

9. What everyone is failing to note is that the DI-ed sound coming from the PA will not have any of your amp tone in it including any e.q. adjustments you make on yer rig and more importantly the big fat tube sound (if you have them). Personally I don't let sound guys DI me if I can help it. Mike the amp, use a DI if you must to fill it in, and get a rig with enough stage volume. Why is the bass a second class member of the band compared to guitars, they're loud as hell on stage and sounding the way the musicians want via their amps. I use my bass almost like a rhythm guitar at times and I believe that should be heard by everyone the way I want it to sound through my SVT, cabs and pedal (for accents).
    Just my $.02
    Cheerz

oh yeah, for those people with DI outs on their amp or preamp, think about how much your choice of speakers affects the sound as well.