Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing through a PA speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have an Avatar 1X15 Neo and a 2X10. I want to take the 2X10 cab to rehearsal and leave the 1X15 at home (Nice, easy transport). At rehearsal, we have 2 old Peavey 1X15 PA cabinets that we don't use. They are 8 ohm like my Avatar 1X15. Would it hurt the PA cabinet if I used it along with my 2X10 for my bass amp? The PA cab has a horn in it, and I've never really understood that part - does this mean there is a built in crossover in the PA cab, and if so, would any of the bass frequencies be in the spectrum that would hit the horn? If so, would it hurt it? I don't care so much that it might not sound the greatest, I'm more concerned that I would somehow damage the PA cab because it's not mine. Although, if it's going to sound like crap, I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks - Skel

2. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    at my drummers house we have a 4 ohm fender pa with only 8 ohm speaker. I have never had a problem playing through the pa. but im not sure if it would be safe hooking it up to your amp. srry im no help .

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, I'm just wondering if anybody knows if it's safe to use a PA cabinet as a bass amp speaker cab. In this case it's an 8 ohm Peavey 2 way cabinet with a 15" and a horn.

I'm sure it's safe for the amp, but I want to make sure I don't damage the PA cab.

Skel

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    As long as you don't push it beyond rated power, you should be fine. It may not sound that great, though. PA cabinets are built with larger sound spectrum range, and this may not sound all that good on your bass.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, I don't care if sounds that great - I'll have my Avatar 2X10 as well - I would think, however, that a PA cabinet would have a very high quality speaker in it - I don't get that part. When people run direct into the PA, you are expecting it to sound good.

But thanks a lot for your help.

Skel

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I played a show with an Ampeg SVT 3Pro through a JBL PA speaker years ago - I had taken a hiatus from playing for a couple of years (sold my cabs, kept the amp). It worked fine for the gig, but I'll echo that the sound wasn't the best and I didn't push it all that hard for fear of wrecking my buddy's speaker. I went out and bought a cab the next week. :p

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Normally the PA stuff I play through is a few steps above Peavey... and it sounds good then. You're probably just as well off not playing through the PA cab and just use the 2x10 or do you guys really have to practice at high volume... My experience has been that if we can't make a song sound good at low volume, turning up isn't going to make it sound better... just a thought.

That Peavey is probably out of low end at 70 hz or so and your Avatar will get down there easily enough so you aren't going to be adding anything to the equation IMO.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, I thought about just using the 2X10 Avatar cab. We do practice loud, but just a 3 piece band, loud drummer, and guitar player uses my 100 watt Marshall half stack. I could get by with the 2X10 cab, but as you guys know - in a 3 piece band you really have to pull your weight - so I think I'll just bring the 1X15 Neo and be done with it. I'm also waiting on an Ampeg V4BH head (100 watts all tube -should get it today) - I'm hoping to use this head so I don't have to even think about lugging my SVT Classic. I'm really interested to see what 100 watts of all tube is like from a volume stand point.

Skel

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A healthy V4B can get pretty friggin' loud. Watch the bass control on that thing, it can easily smoke a driver if you aren't a bit careful. That tone control has a whole lotta range!

I play in a 3 piece as well but the GP uses wither an HR Deluxe, My 40 Watt Pro or his Twin. We sing together though so our rehersals are fairly quiet as we're really working the harmonies hard it just makes sense to do it a bit softer IMO... Get the drummer a set of steel brushes...

10. I played for quite a while using a Peavy P.A. cab with a 15" speaker and a horn, as an extention speaker for my SWR redhead.
    I have long since upgraded to a "son of Bertha" to do the extention work. I must say the S.O.B. sounds better to my ears but I prefered the using the Peavy instead of just relying on the 2X10's in the Redhead

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    F'n loud. And your Ampeg has a history of being far louder than my Bassman 100, so I'm sure you'll do fine. I play(ed) in a 3 1/2 piece - loud drummer, Marshall half stack, and a vocalist. I went from 240 watts to 850 biamped to 100 tube and the volume was actually pretty consistent.

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Wow. I was hoping you guys would tell me the V4BH was going to be loud. I just went home for lunch - it's sitting on my porch, just waiting for me. Also good to know I can at least try the Peavey cab with my 2X10. I just love the sound of the Avatar 15 (or just a good 15 or 2) because my Ric needs the extra low end. I can never make up my mind about 10's, 15's, and now 12's (Avatar first accidentally sent me a 1x12 cab that I started to fall in love with). I know Geddy (yes, he's a jew, but so what) used 2X15's and his tone was to die for on the early Rush stuff. I also saw him a year ago playing the Jazz basses - still tone to die for but he's got a pretty complex setup now. It's still unclear to me whether he recorded the early stuff with a Sunn or an SVT head.

Skel