Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing through a PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, May 14, 2002.

1. I am wondering if it is at all possible to not even use and amp and just use a PA for a bass amp. this is what I am thinking, Split the bass signal, process each signal, run each signal into a differant track on a 4 track mixer, then to a PA. Would this be possible? What about a power amp? what brands should be looked into? Thanks, nate

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

3. You would need a good direct box/preamp to match the basses signal to the mixer and a good set of floor monitors or side fills so you could hear yourself on stage.Sans Amp,MXR,Sadowsky and Aguilar all make preamp/direct boxes that could be used this way.If you just want to use the PA and a direct box you don't need a power amp.
    The thing most bass players do is get a good stage rig to hear your self and either get one of those direct boxes or take a line output from the back of the amp head to the PA mixer.It's hard enough to hear yourself over a loud drummer with a good bass amp without having to depend on the sound guy to bring you up in the stage mix.Most sound techs don't want to mess with bass guitar in the monitor mix.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. Sorry Munji I didn't see the thread the night before.I'll have to pay attention more.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No prob. I wasn't ranking on you, anyway, Blue. Ol' nate posted essentially the same question yesterday in effects.

7. I thought that there may be some people in this forum that dont frequent the effects forum too much. Besides this is more or less and "Amp" question.

Brad J, what I meant was where would the power come from to run the system, I am pretty sure you just use a power amp but im not sure where to put it or what kind of power amp would need to be used to achieve this effect

Thanks a lot, Nate M