Playing through blown cabinet at low volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscow, Jan 7, 2017.

1. basscow

basscow

Apr 19, 2011
    My 410 has a bad driver as of monday. At quiet but recordable levels no distortion is present, but once it gets up to loud talking levels lots of shaking and distortion from the top left driver. Do I risk damaging the other speakers if I'm just playing at levels where no rattling/distortion is present from the bad driver?

2. Tube amp, all series drivers, one goes open circuit. Poof goes amp.

Other than that you should be ok at low volume.

It could be doing weird things to impedance load to amp but unlikely to cause problems at low volume.

The cab tuning could be up the wazoo if the bad one is blowing in the breeze of the others. That will quickly overtax the others if you push it.

basscow and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  3. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Key word is low. Keep it low until you replace or repair the broken one.

basscow likes this.
  4. basscow

basscow

Apr 19, 2011
    Amp circuit is a superbass plexi biased kinda hot so I'm anxious. I'll just keep it super low until the replacement driver gets here. Thanks you guys.

5. I believe one note or thump of any kind into tube amp into open circuit is insta smoke to the transformer. All in all you could be well to remove the dud, blank off the hole and rewire the remaining drivers.

6. I wouldn't use it at all unless you like repair bills.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022