1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

playing through headphones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notforrobots, Mar 30, 2009.

1. the amount of time that i get to play at home is really limited because of the fact that i dont own a practice amp. So i brought home a little mixer that i own. then put line out on my computer to it. and then threw some headphones on it. Now i can play music through the mixer into the head phones. now the question is how do i get my bass to play through the headphones so i can play along with some of the music that im listening to. im guessing a preamp? but not sure any info will help

2. What inputs does your mixer have?

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Active or passive bass? For an active bass, just plug into the line input of one of the channels. For a passive, you can plug into the line in, but you will loose some highs. A DI will get the highs back.

4. i have a eurorack mx 602a mixer

5. I use a Tascam MP3 Trainer to practice on it works perfect for my situation.

6. You'll need a pre amp.

Depending on your budget, one of these will do the job"

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC100.aspx

For the dollars they're great value. Please note I'm NOT saying they're the best pre available, but I've used mine as a DI and a preamp at various times successfully. And the limiter REALLY sucks but for what you want to do this unit will work fine.

7. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    I plug into the line in on my computer. No need for mixers or preamps.

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    From the BEHRINGER EURORACK MX602A manual:

"7.1 Selecting inputs

1) Mono channels accept mic or line inputs. If you are using the mic input, make sure nothing is connected to the line input (and vice-versa).

The mic inputs are more sensitive than the line inputs. Do not connect mics with phantom power switched on.

Never use unbalanced mic cables with the phantom power switched on ever! Shorting the +48 V to earth can cause serious damage. :eek:

2) Stereo channels accept any line level signals. Any stereo channel can be run in mono simply by connecting into the left jack socket only. These channels are suitable for a variety of line-level sources including MIDI
    instruments and tape returns from multitrack.

3) Stereo aux returns are primarily designed for returning effects units, though these too may be given over to tape returns or MIDI instrument outputs..."

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is one of the smaller brothers of the mixer I use.

attachment.

So my advice holds, active bass to line in, for passive bass I really recommend a DI, but you can get away with the line in.

The XLR input on the first channel is my active DI. I use the phantom power to run it.

10. thanks everyone i played with the settings and got it to work. doesnt sound the greatest (passive bass) but it does the job