1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing through Headphones

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by doggiedoright, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I tried to plug headphones directly into my bass.( It has Active EQ)

I can't hear anything.

Is there some special adaptor i need?:confused:

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Even an active bass has way too weak of a signal to move your headphone speaker drivers. An amplifier of some kind has to be in the chain. If you don't have or don't want to use a full amp, get a Vox headphone amp for bass. They run $40-50.

[​IMG]

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

You need an amplifier, it amplifies the sound.

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    If I plug headphones directly into my Fender Jazz Deluxe, I can hear it.
    It just doesn't get very loud.

5. Plus one to what hrobert696 said.

For even more $$ there are several options out there.
    I use either: Line6 Bass Pod "Black Butter Bean" or Pandora PXB-4. Both are great preamps for headphones with lots of emulators, tuner, etc. I have used both live with great results.

Others will offer their fave units; I am only familiar with Line6 and Korg Pandora.

6. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I've had one of these for years and used it before I bought my bass amp. Worked perfectly and has a headphone out. [​IMG]

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Good point. I used to have the cheaper version, the BP90 I think it was, and that would have worked.

8. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    The Vox headphone amp works fine. But, going compact and no amp, nothing beats iPod/ iPad with proper software as Amplitube, Ampkit or the GK app.
    The Ampeg module in Amplitube sounds even better then the VT-bass!!

9. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    If you have a computer (pretty likely, if you're posting to an online forum) you can plug your bass in & listen on headphones. You can even run iTunes or other playback software & play along with recorded tunes.

10. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    My bass it active, and I have never seen a 3.5mm headphone jack on this thing,

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    All the headphone that I have bought had a 1/4 adaptor.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The stereo plug on headphones won't turn on the active electronics. It needs to short the 3rd connector on the jack to ground to do that, and it needs a ts plug to do that. Headphones are trs.

13. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    http://www.samsontech.com/site_medi...ss-guitar-effects/b21u/B21u_slant-display.jpg

Works as an effects pedal. Has some drum loops, as well as working as a headphone amp, and audio interface.

I've recorded using audacity on windows and linux using just the pedal and a usb cable (instrument cable an instrument might help :p). It powers itself using the USB so you can save batteries too :D

It's not a world beating pedal, but gives a fun range of effects, which you can edit, and as a headphone amp, audio interface, metronome, effects pedal, drum machine and tuner it's a good fit for me ATM.

The B3 is possibly better, but the b2 is available used for pretty cheap. I recommend the USB version for some decent DI/ audio interface action. (as far as I know they all have a XLR DI (with groound lift)).
    Just checked. It has a pre/post option. sweet! (the USB audio is post effects audio, as is the 'out' 1/4" jack.