Playing Through Injury/The 2 Fingered Bassist(WARNING MODERATELY GROSS PICS)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Aug 26, 2018.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    So I had a little kitchen accident with my index finger on my left hand. It’s a busy weekend here and everybody is working so finding subs isn’t an option.
    What makes it more challenging is the fact that I don’t really use my third finger that much. It’s technique carried over from primarily playing UB way back when.
    My middle finger took a beating, luckily I was able to play flats on 2 of the 4 gigs. I was not at my best and there were some “workarounds” to say the least.

I’ve always considered altering my technique to incorporate my ring finger, this experience has pretty much cemented the idea.
    1171A367-E2E5-4B58-A60B-6224EC1289E0.jpeg
    It looks dirty but it’s dried blood.

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Ouch.

Another option to consider is to learn how to play with a pick. I think there are a lot of good reasons to be able to play both fingerstyle and pickstyle, but one is that if an injury makes it difficult to play one way you might be able to do the other.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I hear you, that’s true! Unfortunately it was my fretting hand that got injured so a pick wouldn’t have helped much.

PillO likes this.
  4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

lowphatbass likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021