Playing tired, old, worn out songs...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jakelly, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YUP.

Change your audience=change your set list.

"Tired old songs" is probably what your "tired old audience" want's to hear.:crying:

2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    What are some examples?

3. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Lists, or it didn't happen.............;)

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Very good point. That is why we blend our sets to include bands like; Kings of Leon, 3 Doors Down, STP, Los Lonely Boys, Matchbox 20, Black Crows etc. We even do some 80's pop like INXS, The Romantics, The Pretenders etc.

There is just so much good music out there. I see no reason to play the same ol' - same ol' month after month, year after year. We are happy to accommodate the patrons request within reason . But this is done to be used to our advantage whenever possible. So it's all good

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Our B3 player has a sticker on the side of his Leslie cabinet...it's the classic red circle with a line ...inside the circle is "Mustang Sally".

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    If you think you're tired of playing those musty songs, thing how bored the Rolling Stones must be playing ONLY their own songs over and over from 30, 40 and 50 years ago. Or maybe they're just doing it for the money?

7. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That's definitely a better selection that most I've heard. If I'm at some kind of fair or car show, I usually only go check out the band to see what gear they are using because music is just a live version of golden oldies K-Earth style.

I know that at settings like that bands have to pick the most bubblegum, vanilla, safe stuff as possible. I just don't know how they intend to keep going with those song lists. The Boomers and graying and fading; unless you want to play to nothing but wheelchairs soon, you better update your stuff.

8. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    About 15 years back we saw Skynyrd. At the end you expected the cliche' "Freebird" as their encore. They did made it look like they were into it, whether true, or not. And, it was still exciting as an audience member to experience it. It was still quite powerful, even though I'd played it hundreds of times myself, either in bands, or as a radio DJ.

9. The bulk of our stuff is so tired it fell asleep years ago. But we try to mix it up some, so we include songs from artists like Better Than Ezra, Finger Eleven, Theory Of A Deadman, Radiohead, The Black Keys, The Black Crows, and Wheezer (I'm sure you can all guess which songs, they're the ones everyone else does).

But yes, we have Sweet Home Alabama, Mustang Sally, Gimme Three Steps, Cocaine, etc......

Eh. Whatever. It all works.

10. I was thinking the same thing, no matter how much you love music that must be tough. I read somewhere that for awhile Blackmore refuse to play the obligatory smoke on the water on one of DP's tours. While it's hard to imagine going to see them in their heyday and not hearing it, I can see him being a bit tired of it.

11. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I wonder about that as well. I wonder if Rush will ever say "We're not playing Tom Sawyer again!!"

Being able to say you are performing songs 30 years later must be nice, but grueling at the same time.

12. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    My band is probably very similar to yours... we mainly do a lot of 90's radio rock (STP, chili peppers, Pearl Jam, 3rd eye, Matchbox 20, Candlebox, 3 doors, etc. etc.) however we also do some weird remake rock versions of pop songs (Lady Gaga Poker Face and an almost metal version of R.Kelly Ignition remix) along with some oldies.

There are two oldies we do that im SICK of. Magic Carpet Ride and Brown Eyed Girl. I don't think they're bad songs... but I dread playing them.

However, they always go over well. And im not getting paid to play stuff I like... im getting paid to play stuff drunk chicks like.

13. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    +100

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I hear ya. We mix in a lot of 70's & 80's classic rock in our sets as well. Queen, John Cougar, Bon Jovi, Tom Petty, an Elton John tune. We do two Van Morrison tunes, Brown Eyed Girl is not one of them. We also do a few select oldies that most of the bands around here don't play.

The design of this project is set material gets newer as crowd gets younger through the night. Songs need to be dance-able or rock-able, recognizable but hopefully not beat to death. The drummer and I are pushing to keep bringing in more (somewhat) newer stuff as we feel we have more than enough classic rock already.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There was a time Rush retired "Closer to the Heart."

I don't know if it ever came back or not.

16. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Playing tired, old, worn out songs...

Well, I'm playing tired, old, worn out gear, so it only stands to reason........

17. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    Oh, some Shinedown, Extreme, Collective Soul, Goo Goo Dolls. And on the country side, Keith Urban, Brooks & Dunn.

But looking at our list, a lot of it is old. One Elvis song might go back to the 50's even. But it looks like the bulk of our list is 70's classic rock, and top 40 from the 60's to 80's. With some newer stuff as mentioned.

Overall, we do have a pretty good set list I think. I was just making conversation about the tired old ones I guess.

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I'd be as relieved as them if they retired it.

19. There's the old story of John Kay (Steppenwolf) refusing to play "Born To Be Wild" for the 100,000 time. He thought about it and finally came to the conclusion that "I wouldn't be where I am today without that terrible song" - so he continues on.

I have no doubt whatsoever that he sleeps through it, but he does it (and acts like) he enjoys it. That's our jobs.

We hit a rough spot a while back - sleeping through sets, so we had a meeting and added a few VERY obscure songs - rockers to be sure - but enough to "spice up" our set list.

I got stuck with singing lead on Uriah Heep's "Stealin". It goes over like gangbusters.

It's really no different than being married to the same person for 35 years....got to change things up every now and again!! :D

20. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That sounds like the kind of 90's acoustic guitar stuff that I would expect. Pandora Radio's website calls that pop, so I guess its safe enough to use in that kind of venue.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.