Playing tired, old, worn out songs...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jakelly, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Directed at the peanut gallery, not Senor Two Fingers, Ya slipped that post in there quick. :)

2. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    If you are in a cover band that is the gig. Tired, worn out songs that you get paid for playing.
    Better than cleaning bedpans.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah. (turns red and slips away)

Carry on then. :cool:

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You're a pretty quick typist, and I am too, just not when I'm jackin' with my phone on the toilet. :D

5. Since nobody else brought it up, "Wagon Wheel" and "Badfish" are the new "Mustang Sally" and "Brown eyed girl". I'm not saying that bar bands will be playing them 40 years from now. I'm saying that right now as many band seem to be playing "Wagon Wheel" as are playing "Brown eyed girl" these days. (At least in my area.)

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    We do that Badfish song that sounds like fake reggae. People go "huh", then clap. We play Brown Eyed Girl and the dancefloor and the tipjar are both getting some action. :confused:

7. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    True, and just think how mediocre of a band they were then and how terrible they are now. They certainly are doing it for monumental cash, and I cannot blame them for that. Heck, I would play bass for them for that kind of cash, and be happy about it.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If you think the Rolling Stones have been mediocre for even one day of their long, and legendary career, there's definitely something you are missing.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Except for that whole mid/late '70's/most of the '80's stretch?

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The era where they released the following?

1976 Black & Blue
    1978 Some Girls
    1980 Emotional Rescue
    1981 Tattoo You
    1983 Undercover
    1986 Dirty Work
    1989 Steel Wheels

THAT era?

Featuring Fool to Cry, Memory Motel, Hot Stuff, Miss You, Shattered, Some Girls, Beast of Burden, Respectable, Start me Up, She's so Cold, Emotional Rescue, Waiting on a Friend, Hang Fire, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions...

THAT era?

The era when they were consistently on Saturday Night Live, MTV, and had high grossing concert tours?

I think they did fine.

11. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have been a fan of The Stones since 1964.They were incredible then and they are even better now.

I think it's why they are introduced as "The World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band".

Blue

12. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    + 1

Blue

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    we occassionally pull out dandelion, but recently started playing satisfaction and lets spend the night together, I gotta say its been fun after not playing those tunes in probably twenty years, they do sound fresh again.

14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    If everyone only got to play the songs they liked, there would be absolutely no bands in existence and for that matter no music. Good example I know a rock bass player who is also a master at slapping funk all day long. He plays in a country band because around here it is what sells.

I don't care for country and therefore will not play it, I am not in a band

15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Everybody likes different things and different bands and music and that is what makes music what it is. If everybody liked all the same thing, it would be boring. The Rolling Stones were never much to my liking from the early 70s on and out of the list of songs mentioned above, the only one I like even a little is Start Me Up. I know many people who really like them though.

However, I filled in with an oldies band last night that played many of the over played, often requested songs and when we played Jumping Jack Flash, Mustang Sally, Smoke On The Water, Sweet Caroline (a first for me), and many other standards, the dance floor got crowded and people sang along. Bottom line is the bottom line and I got paid to play those songs.

16. The Sloth

The Sloth

Dec 19, 2011
    Playing the same old songs isn't something musicians should cave to simply because "the customer is always right." You know what? Listeners are just like musicians - they listened to the albums too. Instead of making a generic experience for everyone in the room, why not make a special moment for 60% of the people, every once in a while?

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    ^ If playing the standards equates to a "generic experience", what cover songs do you suggest will create that "special moment"?

18. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

^ this. The new dance music the kids listen to is pretty much impossible to reproduce. It is very dense and layered and while it sounds full on a club system any band trying it without a ton of sequencing and processing is bound to sound hollow.

Our band plays classic rock, ACDC, Aerosmith, Billy Idol plus some newer tunes. We go over very well but have found that we should stick pretty close to what we grew up on and listened to when we were 20-ish. We tried a Franz Ferdinand song once and it always fell flat. It was like the audience was saying "What the heck are you guys doing? That's not you."

But no Mustang or Brown Eyed. The crowds we play do don't want to hear that type of classic rock.

19. There's thousands of great songs from any era; I don't know why bands need to play songs they despise. I'm all for keeping the audience happy, but there's some songs that are so hackneyed that they probably annoy as many of the crowd as they actually please. I've only ever played "Mustang Sally" when I was subbing with a band, and I swear half the audience actually groaned (I know I did).

20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I've had people approach me after a set and say " hey, I havent heard that song in years, that was great" dont be afraid to put those little played gems into your set, you never know whose out there and what their tastes are. Your playing to more than just the buzzed chicks in the room.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.