1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing to the crowd?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by abarson, Oct 24, 2013.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Our band got picked to sub a cancellation. It's one of those nights with 3 bands, and the middle one dropped. Thing is, all 3 bands that were lined up had a female front person, and play alt-rock/punk stuff, while we're an older all-male classic rock covers band. We're thinking of concentrating on our louder/faster tunes, just to kind of stay in the theme.

Any suggestions about not losing the audience when there's a style mismatch?

2. Hmm, why would/did you take a mismatched gig like that - does the job pay really well or something?

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yes, use your strongest material. Have *your* fun. Put on *your* show. If the crowd sees you having fun then they will too. But remember, put on the *show*. It sounds like they are not there to dance. So you have to entertain them. There should be no dead time between songs, make the transition nice and tight. If you have something really witty and clever to say between songs then, by all means, say it but keep the show rolling. Have fun!

:bassist::hyper::bassist: drummer. guitar.

Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    BassCliff. your advice should be taken for every show a band does.

5. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Well, you could go and 'get through' the gig,
    or get up there and own the freakin' stage.

All the chickies will tell their friends, I saw this band last night.
    They played music my Dad likes, but they were sooo good,
    and the bass player had moves like Ron Jeremy..........

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    What BassCliff said. That's what we do. Play our best show, and do our best to sell it.

We are what we are.

7. If you think that is a mismatched show you'd have a nightmare around here.

I dont think we've ever played a "matched" show.. whatever that means...

Guess I might as well repeat what others have said.

MAKE THE STAGE YOUR BITCH

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Don't look likes hippy. Wear t shirts and black jeans. Lead off with some Clash. I suggest "jail guitar doors". Play your upbeat stuff. End off with "train in vain". Maybe throw in "London calling".

If you're playing n a punk themed show, may as well play some of the most recognized "punk" ever. Just a taste.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Alt-rock/punk can mean a lot of different things, and I wouldn't exclude the crowd dancing from that label alone. It probably does mean uptempo, high-energy songs, so don't go out and play Freebird or anything - not that you would anyway, I hope!

10. So simple and so true - BassCliff, you nailed it! Well said.

11. Dwight Yoakam (trad. country/"hillbilly music") used to open for punk acts in L.A. in the early 80s. Audiences loved him.

Be true to yourselves, own the stage, pump up the energy, have fun.