Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing too staccatto

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Hey i just noticed (playing What should and what should never be by Led Zeppelin) that i play a little bit too staccatto at times, any tips on playing a little more legato?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My suggestions would be based on the fact that when I was a beginner I had the same problem. I'd say look carefully at both the left hand and the right hand to see if your technique in one hand or the other is causing your sound to be staccato. This is good anyway because there will be times when you WANT to play in a staccato manner and need to know how to do it deliberately.

Left Hand: Hold your finger down longer as you approach the next note. Try not to abruptly lift the finger of the note you just played as that cuts short the sounding of the note. It does take some finger strength to hold down one note while you use another finger to play the next note. But the idea is to let the one note ring and even blend into the next one. That creates a more flowing, legato sound. When one is playing fast, it is easy to slip into the habit of letting up on a note too fast in one's haste to get to the next note.

Right Hand: Check your plucking technique. Are your fingers kind of rolling over the strings or are you doing more of a clawing or catching of the plucked string? I had that problem big time when I started out. My fingers almost got caught under the string.

Each time you pluck that way, it acts almost as a quick mute. To avoid that play in a "rest stroke" fashion in which your finger rolls smoothly over the plucked string then rests briefly and softly on the string just above it. Example, after plucking the A-string, bring your finger softly and briefly to rest on the E- string. I wish I could show you, because it is hard to describe in writing.

Try both these suggestions to see if your sound becomes less staccato.

3. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanx for the reply, btw, i already do that with my right hand, i also just went to a music store and tried the same base line on a good base where the action isnt one inch and it came out almost perfect. thanx for the tips on left hand technique tho.

4. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanx for the reply, btw, i already do that with my right hand, i also just went to a music store and tried the same base line on a good base where the action isnt one inch and it came out almost perfect. thanx for the tips on left hand technique tho.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    FakeTrees,

The former reply pretty much puts it together... as you mention your 'plucking' technique is more on the 'pad' of the finger.

Might also suggest, especially for that Zep tune, pluck the string closer to neck, where the string is a bit more 'flabby' - as opposed to back at the bridge and / or over the pick-up/s.

michael s.
    BTW: lot's of great basslines on that particular album!

6. (commiting the mortal sin of straying from the topic)
    check out 'Zooma' by JPJ for what he's up to now