Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing up front

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by jack straw, Feb 12, 2003.

1. jack straw

jack straw

Feb 12, 2003
    hey mike,
    first many thanks for the years of moving and enjoyable thundering. two questions for you...

1. at what point in your playing did you find yourself playing up front so much? (seems almost like you were always up there...) was it planned? is it hard to find that place where you're up front and helping to drive (not overwash) the vibe of the piece? any advice for those who are dealing with this issue?

(THIS MAY BE OFF TOPIC)

2. many years i saw you at the vogue in indianapolis (or was it the patio... memory's shot to hell, it appears). before the show we strolled on over to an indian food joint and had some grub, sitting behind you the whole time. (your chucks, flannel and firefighter jacket gave you away even from the back... here' the question: my bro and i wanted to buy your sup for you, seeing as we figured we owed you a little something extra given all the inspiration you've given us through the years. (we were both 32 at the time... many hours spent listening to the spiel). would this have been appropriate? we decided not to intrude but let you dine in peace-- obviously or you'd have 12 extra bucks in your pocket. how do you deal with this kind of adoration?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

jack,

sure, I'll chow w/you if you want. that's very kind of you. we can spiel while shovelling too.

d. boon always made room for me in the minutemen days and that tradition I extended into my fIREHOSE days (it's the way I learned!). after fIREHOSE, I thought the logical extension would be to have bands back up projects I had in mind, though it's kind of trippy that way cuz of the bass' natural tendency to be a "support" role - like having the "tail wag the dog," so to say. however, this is where life finds me and though it is uncomfortable in lots of ways, it has helped me to grow and learn in this life though bass of mine. quite challenging but on the other hand, I am a songwriter too and this is a means to "take responsibility" or whatever instead of trying only to be some kind of "puppet master" or something like that. this is where I'm at in this stage of life.

I have to admit though that when folks ask me what kind of bass player I am, I answer, "I"m d. boon's bass player" even after all these years he's been gone. it's just that way.

on bass, watt