Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing up near the 12th....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Aug 8, 2003.

1. How many if you guys play up near the 12th fret. I know I'm being vague and sounding stupid, but you know what I mean.... Playing a G at 10 on the A string, rather than 3 on the E or a 5 on the D string...... My Ibanez (Boo! Hiss! Yeah yeah, but it plays great...) has a high action in the 12 area, and it makes it sound awesome, still loaded with low-end although I'm playing an octave or two higher. The frets are closer together so it's easier to play faster. I really like the sound I get from it, and I was just curious how many people out there play the same way, and (if so) what kind of music do you play with it. It sounds great with Led Zeppelin stuff...

2. I sometimes play like that. I like to shrow in some higher, melodic kinda harmonical sounding lines at some places.

I play in a melodic metal band by the way.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I do it when i have to, like, when the song is on the G string and i cant move up a string.

4. I don't necessarily play up near the 12th to reach higher notes, but more for a meatier tone. If you play a 7 on the G string, rather than a 12 on the D, the 12 (IMO) sounds a lot fuller and...something-ier, I just don't know how to explain! Being 1/2 way up/down the string has something do with different overtones and stuff that you get I suppose.... Bah, I'm just weird I guess. :cool: I play a Teisco, I like my combo amp, and I like playing halfway up the fretboard.

5. BigDBass

BigDBass PWIYB! Supporting Member

One really neat sound you can get around that part of the neck is a blues-y sound based on a chord. If you play an E on the open E-string and let it ring while you hit a chord on the 12th fret on D and 13th fret on G, you'll be playing an E7 (E dominant 7) chord.

I usually don't let it ring too long, but it sounds good if you're moving to another chord or measure. A good place to start playing around with this idea when you're jamming blues in A, you can use it towards the end of the chorus when you move from E to A.

I use the 12th fret area pretty often sometimes. For one thing, it's easy to find! And I find if you're doing a line that covers 2 octaves, you have nowhere else to go!

You can also try open E with 12th on D and 12th on G, which will give you Em7 (E minor 7). Listen to an open D plus the 11th fret on G (D major chord) inspires some melodic jamming ideas for me. If you like these sounds, I can describe some others that are fun too.

D