1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing very modern music acoustically

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 20, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    What's the limit of what can be played convincingly with an acoustic lineup?

A friend's band recently did this "acoustic techno" song, the video was posted on a fairly popular Polish site, and they got a lot of comments complaining they're playing "not real techno" but fake commercial popular techno instead. The commenters also complained about the guitarist's shirt and the bassist's mustache. So, that's not very useful as feedback.

The audience seemed to like it, so I guess it worked in that sense as one song in the middle of a more typical "fools on stools" gig, but I don't know if a whole gig like that could be pulled off.

So... What's the most ridiculously un-acoustic thing you've played acoustically with success?

Could you see an entire gig of acoustic dubstep being done successfully? Acoustic kuduro? Acoustic Alexandra Stan tribute band?

2. It sounded like you guys were having fun! I don't really like techno, but I'm sure this version is better than the original. I think anything can be done all acoustic as long as it is arranged and executed well including dub step.

3. I play double bass/vocals in a band which has nylon string guitar/vocals, and ukelele/vocals. We are three piece, and pull in drums and sax where needed. We are not really modern ,as in electronic music, but we play stuff you wouldn't expect, such as Pretenders, Springsteen, Lyle Lovett, Clash, Cure, ZZ Top, Neville Bros, Bob Marley etc.
    The Mirrors - HOME
    It goes down really well and we get repeat bookings everywhere we play, so it must be working.

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Well, not us - this is a friend's band. But on their behalf, thanks.

What could you do for the drops and the wubs when covering dubstep, though?
    IME that kind of thing works great, probably better than playing acoustic versions of music that was originally acoustic.

I've noticed that people really dig acoustic versions of stuff like Sean Paul and Buraka Som Sistema (well, OK, the band I did the latter with had DB, nylon string guitar and a small electronic drum kit, so it doesn't really count), too. That's not too difficult to rearrange for "real" instruments, though. It doesn't rely on heavily processed or very unnatural sounds like dubstep or techno do.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There's a band around here called Speed Dinosaurs who do pop covers in a punk style with uke, double bass and cajon. They always get a great reception.

I think if you have band members with charisma it works.

6. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that genre is dictated by style and subject matter rather than choice of instrument. Does that make techno not a genre? Cause I like techno, and I like the vid I just watched.

EDIT: I really like the personality of that piece they played. Musically, kinda ok, but those dudes really made it click, and that's even cooler, I think. Props to them.

7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Here's some acoustic kuduro. That's a type of modern African electronic dance music. The song "Danza kuduro" is not kuduro, it's just about kuduro... um... anyway...

Wegue Wegue (Kalemba) acoustic kuduro live version by Capivara - YouTube

This wasn't really planned to be acoustic, but our drummer had a nasty stomach flu that day and only brought his cajon instead of his electronic drumkit. So we did this with DB, cajon and guitar. Well, it works! Our guitarist, who's "the rock guy" - likes everything old and traditional - has been asking me for a week when I'm finally gonna upload that to youtube, so I guess even he likes it.

Here's the original, for your reference:

Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (wegue wegue) OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube

8. I am floored! 5.78 MILLION hits on Y.T. ! just OMG. bless you, for you are blessed.

peace Kirk

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Oh, that's not our version with the millions of hits, that's the original! Our version is the link above it in the same post.