Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Violin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jay, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Alright, I started playing violin about a week ago. I'm actually doing quite well, I pretty much have the fingering down and the bowing down too. It wasn't very difficult to me at first and that helped to not discourage me. I was wondering how many of you in TBLand play violin and those who do, what tips you could give to a beginner such as myself.

Some areas of advice might include:
    - Articulation
    - Bow Technique
    - Achieving the desired sound quality
    - Where to go from learning scales and such

Thank ya'll...your help is highly appreciated. :)

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    BUMP!!!

Alright, I woulda put this in Technique but it's not exactly bass technique...so somebody's played violin before, I saw it in the "What other instruments do you play?" thread. COME ON!!!!

3. A week and you've got the fingering and bowing down?

Your my new hero!

I started playing violin at the age of six, and started making sense of it by age 8 or 9. Had a pretty good mastering of the instrument by age 15 (I was considered very good).

My advice is to not get too complacent with your technique too fast, because I have to tell you, even the most prolific violinists take a long time to perfect their bowing and fingering techniques. A few tips.

1.) Keep your bow as parallel to the bridge as possible.
    2.) try to maintain even bowing pressure from the tip to the frog of the bow.
    3.) maintain the right amount of rosin on your bow to keep a good "grip"
    4.) unless your intonation is perfect, your going to have to train your ear to hear when your off, and when your not. As you probably know already - there ain't no frets, and the fingerboard is very small. The slightest increment off position, and your off key.

I'm not even touching the "tip of the iceberg" here to acheive the desired sound quality, just trying to get you started.

If you are serious about getting really good. Listen to some of the classical masters, and try to emulate them. Issac Stern, Jascha Heifitz, even great jazz violinists like Jean-Luc Ponty or Stephane Grapelli.

Start with relativley easy stuff - get good at those, and then progress.

4. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    AHA!!! One reply! I knew someone out there could gimme some advice here. Thanx a million Herm. :D

5. I played when I was really young but dont remember much except that the right bowing position is essential and correct fingering is also. Also the intonation has to be correct otherwise it sounds horrible tends to cause great negativity towards both the player and instrument ending uncomfortable feelings from the bow stuck up you. Good luck and keep going at it.

6. i played my sisters violin for about a week after she gave it up, and i had the fingering and bowing down in about 5 days.

well if you count making the mating calls of the humpback whale, as "having it down".

7. My main bit of advice is get yourself a really good teacher. Violin, or any other bowed string instrument doesn't lend itself very well to self teaching. There are way too many technical details to concern yourself with.

You may be able to teach yourself some but you'll improve much faster under the guidance of a good teacher. Once you've studied with some good teachers for many many years, then you may be able to do some really productive work on your own.

If you think you have the fingering and bowing down in about a week, I can assure you that you are probably missing a lot of what's wrong with your playing.

8. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Rob W - Yep, I know I'm no violinist yet. I have alot to learn, I'm by far not concert worthy here. :D I only imply that I can actually play stuff, for example...Sitting in my friend's den playing, I on violin, him on sax. He is a very good sax player, having played some 8 years. Anywho, he's sitting there playing a solo arrangement of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven." I slide into a D and just start playing with him; he literally chokes on the mouthpiece and starts laughing at me. Cuz I had only played for a little bit and I was just playing along with him, the right stuff too. But in reality, I want to learn the violin and become a good violinist and have teachers and learn and learn and learn some more. I was just fooling around with it, but I really want to get going on it.

Thanx ya'll!!!!

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to play violin for almost 10 years starting at age 6. But since then it's been bass only for me...
    Definitely get a teacher everything else is crap! A good violin will cost you an arm and a leg and a teacher's advice will help there too.