Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing walking blues bass..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrneek, Apr 29, 2005.

1. mrneek

mrneek

Apr 17, 2005
    I'm not really a pure blues enthusiast,Every once in a while during jams, I wind up playing bass with guitar players who want to do blues with walking basslines(12bar).I can do it,but I'm prety mediocre at it(I'm more of a rock player).If you screw up,everybody in the band will be staring at you(daggers...!).Has anyone else had this wierd experience?

2. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Yes...The looks used to come mostly when I missed the root note at chord changes, a sometimes overlooked aspect when one is trying too hard to pull off a good line. The bass has a lot of responsibility in blues (feeling, rhythm/timing, song movement), but when that chord change isn't hit...Yuck!!!

Do your guitar players like playing traditional blues like Muddy Waters or blues/rock stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughn?

3. mrneek

mrneek

Apr 17, 2005
    That's quite funny!I Usually miss notes because I'm probabaly trying not to be BORING!As you know,all the cats use the fancy blues scales.
    It usually is the Stevie Ray Vaughn type guitarists who like that kind of bass playing.I really appreciate guys that play that stye well.

4. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Our band plays "House is a 'Rockin" by SRV and I recommend it as a good song to learn for bass. Although the song is fast, it has some good standard walking patterns that sound good at any speed.