playing when I sit is is more relax then when I am standing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by whitehouse, Jan 7, 2002.

1. is it normal that I play much more relax when I sit then when I stand ?
    when I sit, my arms are more relax, and specially my left hand can handle the strings much this good or bad or what ?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    How high/low do you wear your bass on your strap? Many people (myself included) find it beneficial to set your strap so that the bass is in the same position standing up as it is sitting down. That might make it easier for you to play standing up. You'll have to learn to stand and play eventually, unless you plan on gigging with a bar stool. Sitting and practicing is fine, though, but just remember good posture.
  3. have have to cut some holes extra in my strap (or better, I am gonna let it do by a shoe-fixer (what's the english term for that ?))
    so it can hang higher on my chest
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Either that, or you could just go shopping for a new strap. But yes, I believe you'll find it much more comfortable.
  5. yes....some people find it very unkewl when the bass is hanging right under ya neck, but I find it very comfortable !!
  6. A shoe-fixer is referred to as a cobbler.
  7. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i have the $13 padded nylon strap from carvin. i drop it all the way for picking in my punk band. even though dropping it that low limits my left hand, i'm playing punk and i'm not doing much there. it makes fast picking with my right hand much easier. when i play anything else i like to have it high too. i'm skinny so even when the strap is all the way up its not high enough. so i use reuseable zip ties to shorten it. it works really well. just make sure you use reuseabe ones oherwise you'll have a hell of a time undoing it.

8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah, i am a big supporter of wearing your bass up on your body. I like sitting down to play mainly b/c after 2 hours of playing, my back will get a bit sore.. but then again, I love to stand so I can groove a bit.. when I sit i can't move much and I feel constricted. i wear my bass on around my chest area or just below and the bottom of my bass is above my belly button
  9. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    D'addario make decent straps that you can shorten alot!

I hate that whole uncool nonsense though!
    "Hey Mr. Wooten, you play pretty good, but you just don't look cool with the bass up by your neck.":cool:
  10. I used to wear mine very low(almost as low as Jimmy Page with his Les Paul).But alas,age doesn't permit me to do that anymore.Now I keep the bass around chest high.I've found that my left hand/wrist benefits tremendously and my playing has improved drastically(not that I sucked,but it doesn't hurt to suck less).Plus,I've been experiencing some pain in my left wrist when the bass is too low.I've also noticed at my age certain scale lengths are uncomfortable when playing standing up.This is another factor to consider,of course I might be digressing too.Ramble...ramble...:rolleyes:
  11. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm lazy - I have a stool in my practice area that I kinda lean on. I set my strap height just a tad below where my bass sits when I'm fully sitting. For some classical pieces, I find it easier to sit, but for all else, I find it easier a touch lower, hence the leaning on the stool.
  12. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I thought I was Lazy!:D
    You knew that was comin' right?
  13. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    heh, i used to have that exact problem when i played the guitar...
    now that i play the bass its the other way around lol
    standing is increadably comfortable (except for sore shoulders)
    and sitting isnt umconfortable... but my right hand is kinda awkward

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I dance and get giggy with it to much to set down! I agree 2with above that i get bitchy when i have toi sit! i find that if i sit my timing isnt as good and iam not as into it! I keep my groove with my but!
  15. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    I am so used to practicing standing that I find it nearly impossible to play sitting.