1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with a chorus pedal....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Sep 23, 2008.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    What type of playing is mainly good with a chorus pedal? I hear demos of it and it sounds good; but I don't get the whole voices thing? Can someone explain this to me please?

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Well, for my needs, Chorus doesn't do what I need it to, but IMHO a subtle chorus in a melodic passage of a song can sound really neat.

What do you mean by voices? You mean like voices of the Chorus?

3. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    you mean like what genre, or what style of song? personally i use chorus in most types of melodic solos or sometimes to get a fretless like sound

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I use mine for songs that need to sound like water, which usually means melodic, slow lines on softer songs. Also anytime I play fretless, because my intonation beyond the 12th fret pretty bad.

It can be used for all kinds of stuff though. If it sounds good to you while playing Dark Angel covers, use it.

5. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    So could someone use a chorus with an distortion pedal or synth pedal? I really interested in how it would sound with a distortion pedal or would that be doing too much?

6. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    i have a setting on my bass podxt (properly titled mel odic) that has a chorus with a slow soft delay but when i activate the stompbox its a high tone synth distortion that blends really well with the chorus and delay... granted most people find it "impractical"... i will fight them.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I frequently run bass into fuzz into chorus for a cool synthy sound.

8. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    the chorus is much more present when you use distortions, fuzzes, ods etc

i quite like it
    but thats just me

9. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yup, thats the beauty of FX, you can create you own sound. :)

10. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    I use my chorus after my octave pedal to try to cop a "organ" sound when we do Allman Brother tunes. Not really the sound, but close enough for our three piece

11. I like using chorus to add atmosphere when the guitarists in my band start playing mellowish delay type stuff. Really adds to the vibe. But I only use chorus with a light OD - nothing too crazy....

12. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Back in July my buddy and I recorded one of the songs he had put together at his house, and for when I come into the song, I played my Douglas six-string through my Digitech Multi-Voice chorus pedal (and of course my EQ and compressor), and going back to the cd and listening to it, I couldn't believe how much of a fretless sound I can get with that pedal. Definitely sounds different in a recording than when you're practicing by yourself, but then I suppose that's how most things sound anyway.