Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing with a drone

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by xtian, Jan 13, 2003.

1. xtian

xtian

Jul 13, 2000
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hey Guys!
    I have been working on composing pieces that use a drone note, and I am looking for a little help.

I have been using my Conklin GT7 (seven string bass) for this mostly, due to the sheer number of open strings available for the drone note! :)

But I am feeling limited by the fact that my drones are all fifths of each other. This is fine for I-IV-VIIb progressions (or variations thereof), but I want to expand and be able to use *any* chord progression.

I guess I am trying to figure out how to be able to play more like Leo Kottke, only on the bass!

The problem I am having is the sheer number of notes to keep in mind at any one time. The drone (or, root in most cases), and then whatever melody notes I am playing over the drone root note.

This conceptual hurdle has been annoying me for a while, and I would appreciate any help or direction you might be able to provide me with to shake up my thinking!

Thanks for your time and help!
    - Christian
    Budapest, Hungary

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Christain,

There's always alternate tunings! Leo is quite a master of those. Give it a try and see if it works for you.