1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing with a drone

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by xtian, Jan 13, 2003.

1. xtian

xtian

Jul 13, 2000
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hey Guys!
    I have been working on composing pieces that use a drone note, and I am looking for a little help.

I have been using my Conklin GT7 (seven string bass) for this mostly, due to the sheer number of open strings available for the drone note! :)

But I am feeling limited by the fact that my drones are all fifths of each other. This is fine for I-IV-VIIb progressions (or variations thereof), but I want to expand and be able to use *any* chord progression.

I guess I am trying to figure out how to be able to play more like Leo Kottke, only on the bass!

The problem I am having is the sheer number of notes to keep in mind at any one time. The drone (or, root in most cases), and then whatever melody notes I am playing over the drone root note.

This conceptual hurdle has been annoying me for a while, and I would appreciate any help or direction you might be able to provide me with to shake up my thinking!

Thanks for your time and help!
    - Christian
    Budapest, Hungary

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Christain,

There's always alternate tunings! Leo is quite a master of those. Give it a try and see if it works for you.