1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with a drummer

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Jan 10, 2017.

1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Hi TBers,

Wondering how you all think about interacting with the drummer.

For myself lately, I've been focused a lot on the snare drum. And trying to accent the beat away from it. Usually 1 & 3. I think of it sort of a tug of war between heavy low and heavy high accents.

How do you think about your relationship with the drummer?

2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I prefer it, as opposed to just playing along to a click or per-recorded music, but only if the drummer can keep time. If I have to spend all my time keeping him on track, it is sort of pointless.
    I have a good musical relationship with my current drummer and it is awesome. We pay attention to each other and work off of each other.

joebar likes this.
  3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Cool, I kinda meant specifically, with the assumption that you are playing with a drummer, what do you listen for?

4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Kick drum. But honestly I wish they'd just shut the hell up for the most part. They just don't seem to get it. Hey drummers there's a time and place for making noise. When the band is attempting to have a discussion PLEASE put a lid on it. I'm done. :spit: :D

joebar likes this.
  5. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That comes down to listening to the drummer and deciding what's driving the song at that moment. Maybe you want to be in time with the ride\high hat to keep it simple, maybe he has a really wicked cadence going on the snare, or the kick is really moving things. There isn't just one thing.

6. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My problem is with the guitarists. One of them is always noodling while we are trying to talk.

7. The drummer and I work well with each other. He sets the rhythm and I follow his kick drum. It's not rocket science.

All that other stuff that happens between songs or at breaks, that's just band stuff. Get used to it or leave. It's your call.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If the drummer is listening to you, and you to them, the possibilities are endless. If a drummer is really good, and we're in an improv section of a song, it's a lot of fun to try and confuse each other.

saltydude likes this.
  9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I try to know exactly what the drummer / percussion is doing at all times.
    We discuss phrases where we can sync up or syncopate
    We make frequent eye contact and lots of nonverbal communication
    I stand near the hi -hat, which typically plays the steadiest rhythm.
    I do my best to leave space for the snare hits, by stopping any ringing notes.
    when the drummer plays a snare: I play a rest.

of course Context is all, depends on style , song etc.

10. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    I like when the drummer isn't playing strict up and down beats but I and everyone else feels him playing a strict 4/4. Like Roy Haynes or Elvin Jones used to do.