Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing with a guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Nov 3, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    I have a small peavy guitar amp that i would like to "jimmy rig" in to a bass amp...Im thinking about buying a bass speaker and putting it in the amp and finding a way to boost the power would that work so so for a jazz bass?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    An open air cabinet/combo like those used by Peavey will make almost no bass, especially if it is low power.

It's fine for a practice alone kind of thing. But in that case, I'd just watch the levels and play it with the speaker that is in it.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what they said. between the open back cab, and the low wattage, that amp won't be useable as anything but a practice amp. In general, the only real thing to watch out for with guitar amps is thaqt you don't end up blowing the speaker. Bass puts out a lot more low end and low mid energy than guitaq, and those frequencies can be tough on any speaker, murder for ones that aren't designed for it - so listen closely to your amp and turn down when it tells you it doesn't like it.