1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with acoustics instruments in remote locations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whirledpeas, May 6, 2010.

1. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    TB’ers –

So I’ve been playing bass for about 3 months now. After quite a bit of deliberation, I ended up buying a BTB575FM – which I love! Initially it had some issues with uneven frets, but after having that addressed, I can’t believe how nice it plays for the $ (got a good deal b/c it’s being discontinued).

Playing is really becoming fun as I’m starting to figure out how to make some music and groove. I stretched my budget a bit and ended up with a nice “starter kit” – LMII thru an Aggie GS-112. I love the sound I’m getting out of such a portable set-up! Really glad I decided to splurge for more than a practice amp.

But now with the weather warming up and camping trips & festivals on the horizon, I’d like to get some advice on options for playing bass with acoustic instruments in a field setting. (Aside from learning DB and dropping $1k for another instrument – sure, in an ideal world!)

I’ve got concerns about taking my neck-thru out of a climate controlled environment (are my concerns warranted?). Thinking I might need a cheap “beater” to drag along on camping trips, etc.

I’ve been searching the forums and am wondering if I’m better off with a cheap AEB or a cheap solid body? Either thru something like a HOG30?

Any thoughts as to what’s more durable, will hold up better to temp/humidity changes, etc?

Seems that an AEB might produce a better tone for bluegrass, acoustic jams, etc. But I’ve also considered getting a 4 string solid EB as it might be easier to find a cheap one.

My understanding is that I would need an amp to be heard above 2 guitars (unless I spent a lot for something like a Tacoma – and even then ?). My wife will probably kill me if I spend much more $, so what’s my best option for cheap, durable bass in a remote location?

Appreciate your thoughts. This website is a terrific resource!

Thanks,
    Tom

PS - sorry for the long post.

2. I've got an Ibanez AEB and don't think taking one to the woods or a camping trip or even a remote picnic is a good ilia as they are easily damaged with packing them in-out, if not just playing them.

Who wants to carry an AEB in a hardshell case that weighs every bit as much as the AEB too? Plus an amp? Yeah - you'd likely want the amp too since a couple of guitars around the campfire can pretty much cover the AEB up. IMO - that's not what an AEB is for - it's for the tremendous sustain and almost upright DB sounds in a controlled environment like a studio or stage.

They're also somewhat delicate and really just a hollow box that somehow gets beat up pretty badly even in controlled environments.

I'd look for a Squire of some cheapness and maybe a battery powered old Crate Taxi or Limousine for playing remotely - that's if you don't crank it up too high and snarffle the speaker.

3. That is my "normal" mode, playing solid-body bass with acoustic instruments. Find yourself an inexpensive solid-body bass that speaks to you (for me, it's Squier CVs or VMs), and amp it with a Roland Bass Micro Cube. Runs on 8 AAs; a set will live for 8 to 10 hours in my experience. And be happy.

Roger

4. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now on the look out for a cheap Squire P or maybe SX.

So for you guys with experience using battery-powered bass amps -- which ones are most highly recommended to help keep up with several musicians in an acoustic bluegrass jam?

It sounds like folks dig the Pignose HOG30, Crate Taxi, and Roland Micro Cube RX.

Any other suggestions? Which is the best for bass? (I can't afford a Phil Jones Briefcase right now).

Appreciate your insights!
    Tom

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago