1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with all fingers

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mikebass188, Mar 31, 2006.

1. mikebass188

mikebass188

Mar 31, 2006
    I started playing bass 3 months ago and so far got pretty far in playing with 4 fingers on the right hand(right handed)

are there any different methods that would improve finger strength and speed?

2. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Pick up any classical guitar method. The Carcassi method is particularly good. I regularly use those exercises on bass.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You may want to check out Richard Bornman.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=13286

He plays guitar but he uses fingers and alternates between thumb-index-thumb-middle-thumb-ring.

He has an amazing command of the instrument. I have been playing bass this way for a while though I'm just starting to incorporate the ring finger. I primarily play thumb-index-thumb-middle.

Matt Garrison notwithstanding, I think Richard's technique is the most efficient.

5. mikebass188

mikebass188

Mar 31, 2006
    ok kool. thanks.